Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Regional Forums > Australia, New Zealand

DIY hunt for red stagg in NZ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 06:31 PM

DIY hunt for red stagg in NZ

I am trying to plan a DIY hunt for red stagg in New Zealand in the next year or so, but I am trying to get everything lined out before it is too late. I am just wondering if anybody has any information on price tags for non-residents, season dates, regulations on rifle calibers, documents to bring a rifle into the country, where in new Zealand is best to get a decent sized stagg. I plan to give the meat to my in-laws who live in New Zealand, but would also like info on a possible taxidermist or info on how to export the head. Any info on this would be great.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:33 AM
Silver Member

Re: DIY hunt for red stagg in NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonganjord View Post
I am trying to plan a DIY hunt for red stagg in New Zealand in the next year or so, but I am trying to get everything lined out before it is too late. I am just wondering if anybody has any information on price tags for non-residents, season dates, regulations on rifle calibers, documents to bring a rifle into the country, where in new Zealand is best to get a decent sized stagg. I plan to give the meat to my in-laws who live in New Zealand, but would also like info on a possible taxidermist or info on how to export the head. Any info on this would be great.
Hi there. There are no seasons,tags,no regulations on caliber and it costs about 100 buks(I think?) to bring a gun to the country. To hunt public land you need a permit but these are free and can be gained online at the DOC website.
To get a good stag on public land is very difficult because we can hunt all year good stags dont live long in most places. Are you going to the north Island or south island??
have you hunted bush before?(the new Zealand bush hunting is ALOT different to any other hunting.)
I know you want a DIY hunt but I am offering cheap guiding for $250 a day. I have no trophy fee for red deer. Please message me or email me at joseph.peter@live.com.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:11 AM

I may be interested in having you guide me. Can stagg be taken off of either island? If so which island has bigger stagg? Is there a way to get permission to hunt private land with bigger staggs?
Old 05-05-2013, 06:36 PM
Silver Member

Red deer are found on both islands and on private land big stags can be found on both islands as well. depends what you are after as a "big Stag"? there are a lot of trophy parks/ranches that will have HUGE stags. And I mean HUGE. But these cost $$$$$$.
In terms of truly wild stags they vary in size a lot and are smaller than private game ranch stags.
These are what game ranches can offer for $$$$$$ http://www.glenroy.co.nz/images/4713...g-500-5009.jpg
http://www.sctrophyhunting.com/images/red-stag_img2.jpg
A wild stag
http://www.iona-bed-breakfast-mull.c...point-mull.jpg

Although you can get very large wild stags it is a lot more difficult and alot of luck is involved.
hope this helps
thanks Joseph
Old 05-09-2013, 12:58 AM
Bronze Member

So is there no limit on the amount of stags you can shoot in a year?
When is the stag rut? I have always been interested in trying to hunt these!
Old 05-09-2013, 01:45 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphil View Post
So is there no limit on the amount of stags you can shoot in a year?
When is the stag rut? I have always been interested in trying to hunt these!
Welcome to New Zealand the hunters paradise!!! There are NO seasons/tags/limits of any kind. you can shoot any of the game species at ANY time and shoot as MANY as you want.(exceptions to this are waterfowl with a season and Wapiti/Elk which are on a balot system to gain access as they are only in a small area)
The Roar/rut is mid March till mid/late April roughly depending on the season and location. So youve just missed this years roar.

There is a great bonus to hunting here because you need no tags or seasons ect. BUT this also makes it very hard to get good animals on public land as these animals are hunted pretty much 24/7 in areas with good access.

Most good stags are taken on private land where there is less hunting pressure or are taken in remote public land where there is little hunting pressure. there are exceptions and good stags are taken on popular public land but there is alot of luck involved.

Were you after a "trophy of a lifetime " stag or just a nice red stag??
Old 05-09-2013, 01:22 PM
Bronze Member

that is pretty cool! If I ever got the money to go down there I would rather shoot a wild one than a fenced in one. Tahr hunting looks awesome too! You gies shoot goats like ground squirrels down there dont you?