Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Regional Forums > Australia, New Zealand

ADA is anti LRH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2010, 06:02 AM
Silver Member

Re: ADA is anti LRH

Divide and conquer! That's what is going on. Unfortunately it's working to some extent. If we all banded together we would have a real voice. The problem is that too many gun owners are falling for the same song and dance.
The biggest voice out there right now is the NRA and we all need to support it. Say what you want and I recognize that they are not perfect, but with out the NRA, we'd be in the same boat as the UK.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:43 PM
Gold Member

Hi all i have not wanted to get into this debate but some things are false mentioned here. Firstly Vic is not banning cartriges like the 338 Lap as Vic deems it a legitimate sporting round, the 50 cals and derivitives have always been on a restricted list and because people are advertising the 460steyr and 416 barrel to side step 50 cal bans dont you think the police watch these types of forums?

As for stamping a different calibre on your barrel. if you have to have the rifle calibre changed a licenced gunsmith will have to convert the rifle and supply a certificate to proje tje changes were completer it is against the law for us to do this type of thing and there is no one i know that would jepordise their dealers licence for this.

Now for the 338 LApua shooters there are 2 other cartriges with the same boltface that use 338 projectiles commercialy available and they can have the rifles converted and have similar performance we have been asked to convert a few rifles already and no i wont print them here you all say why ban X calibre when Y calibre has the same ballistics do you think the police are stupid they say thank you we will add it to the list so stop comparing other sporting calibres to things like the 338 Lapua please or i garrentee they WILL be on the list. just keep shooting your rifles and be happy.

The ADA has no rights on trying to have calibres banned and the political effect against them by their own shooters has worked but dont get specific with anything just say it is up to the shooter to judje the distance that he is competent to cleanly and humanly dispatch the game animal with the equiptment he has at his disposal how simple is that if it is a 30/30 it is going to be a lot less distance than a 338 lapua with the correct projectile.

And a word of worning the projectiles we use are being looked at with solid alloy VLD's being banned on all ranges in England they dont meet any saftey specifications for our range templates and are something to stay away from because they have a lot of problems associated with them.

Just for a bit of knowlidge read the WA firearms regulations and they types or projectiles that are prohubited for use even franjable projectiles are banned there. we dont want reasons to have our legitimate sports stopped so make broad safe guidelines and please stop this why ban the 338 lapua when my Y cartrige fires the same projectile at the same speed or faster because the next thin you know it will be on the list aswell.

We have to thank a certain person from the Defence science and technology for the crap with the 338 Lapua i wont mention his name but he has stated that the effective range of a 338 lapua is 6Km so all the police have then said that the ranges are not safe to stop them in the fallout zone if you do punch certain things into a computer a 22lr makes it 2Km so be aware of the things you post in relation to the distance you are shooting and pictures of what you do making it to the internet you dont need to be doing anything wrong for people to take it the wrong way thinking everyone is want to be snipers hiding in the bush practicing their dark art this is realy what the public thinks so dont be nieve.

Cheers Bill
Old 11-23-2012, 07:09 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topshot View Post
Has anyone seen the E-mail's floating about from the ADA. Seems that they have an issue with long range hunting and are trying to have it banned.
Drop me an E-mail if your like and I will send you a copy. Makes interesting reading.

ADA stands for Australian Deer Association. A deer hunting organisation.
ADA is a LOAD Of BS in my books
Old 11-24-2012, 04:37 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas1 View Post
Is it legal in Australia to knowingly stamp the wrong caliber on a rifle?
No it is a criminal offence to do so.
If a gunsmith changes a barrel they are ment to restart the correct caliber on the barrel if we change the caliber we have to sign a declaration that the correct caliber is stamped on the barrel. you can loose your licence if you don't. if a caliber is baneed and you are found in possession of a rifle with an incorrect barrel stamp you will loose you're licence and likely get a jail sentence.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwabdog View Post
ADA is a LOAD Of BS in my books
Some of you bloke would do better to look deeper before typing.

There are many branches of the ADA. I am Treasurer of one of them in NSW and we have a great and diverse group of hunters.

The letters that are spoken of weren't endorsed by the National Committee of a State one to my knowledge, merely one members ill informed opinions.

My only problem with long range is experience, and I would suggest it is upto older experienced shooters to educate the younger blokes on technique etc. I have seen quite a few blokes turn up a local range asking is it a 400 or 500 yard range? No mate it is 200. Little wonder they stuff up in the field.

It is up to the individual knowing his limits.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrnesy View Post
Some of you bloke would do better to look deeper before typing.

There are many branches of the ADA. I am Treasurer of one of them in NSW and we have a great and diverse group of hunters.

The letters that are spoken of weren't endorsed by the National Committee of a State one to my knowledge, merely one members ill informed opinions..
Byrnesy,
I take it that you are a long range hunter? Otherwise why would you be a member of this site?

The letters were not just the ill informed opinion of a single individual. You must have not been privy to the full details of the 3 month long saga! I was and the issue was mostly stirred up by a group of Victorian ADA members with little understanding of the practice.

Since this issue was raised (it was quite a while ago) the number of ADA members who have become interested in LR hunting has grown in large numbers. With the interest in this form of hunting so strong at the moment it is little wonder that the anti's have pulled their heads in.

Obviously don't want to loose a truck load of members and have maybe learn't to be tollerant of other hunters methods? Lets hope so at division amongst hunters is not good.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:02 PM

Topshot

What I consider long range is likely not what many of you guys consider long range. But I shoot within my abilities and continue to push the boundaries of my limits so they slowly extend. Why I am here then? Because there is a lot of useful info and varied opinions.

Those that choose not to listen to opinions they disagree with don't grow their knowledge.

Like they say; The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.

And yes division amongst hunters and shooter does nothing to help our cause.