Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Regional Forums > Australia, New Zealand


Reply

338 lapua and ADI powders.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-26-2009, 09:33 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: OZ
Posts: 322
338 lapua and ADI powders.

G'day guys, any Aussie's or Kiwi's using Adi powders for their 338LM,im looking for an accurate load using the 300smk,i do have some vvn165,vvn570,RL25 and RL22 but these powders aren't always easy to get so i would prefer to use the adi powders.What kind of velocities can i expect?I am using lapua cases and my rifle is a stiller tac action with a 27" barrel,cheers.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-27-2009, 01:34 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: VICTORIA AUSTRALIA
Posts: 912
Re: 338 lapua and ADI powders.

I know quite alot of guys using 2217 90 -92 grns depending on the gun.

Start low and work up. In a 26 " barrel they seem to start under 2700 and run to hig 27's fps in a factory MLr barrel. Longer barrels will give more though.

DUH
__________________
With each step in the bush, you are a step closer.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-29-2009, 09:29 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 46
Re: 338 lapua and ADI powders.

I have been using AR2217 in my Blaser TACII. !:10 twist
I think AR2217 is the same as Retumbo.
I think it is good to use with 250gn SMK, Lap brass, Fed match primers.
good place for brass:
338 Lapua
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-29-2009, 04:55 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: VICTORIA AUSTRALIA
Posts: 912
Re: 338 lapua and ADI powders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btm_54 View Post
I have been using AR2217 in my Blaser TACII. !:10 twist
I think AR2217 is the same as Retumbo.
I think it is good to use with 250gn SMK, Lap brass, Fed match primers.
good place for brass:
338 Lapua
Just a quick correction. 2217 is labelled H1000 in the US. Definitely not Retumbo.

I believe Retumbo is 2225 here is Aus ? I think.. cause I dont use it ?

ADI makes both powders.

Cheers

DUH
__________________
With each step in the bush, you are a step closer.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-29-2009, 04:59 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: VICTORIA AUSTRALIA
Posts: 912
Re: 338 lapua and ADI powders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300R View Post
G'day guys, any Aussie's or Kiwi's using Adi powders for their 338LM,im looking for an accurate load using the 300smk,i do have some vvn165,vvn570,RL25 and RL22 but these powders aren't always easy to get so i would prefer to use the adi powders.What kind of velocities can i expect?I am using lapua cases and my rifle is a stiller tac action with a 27" barrel,cheers.
Forgot to mention that both the MLR rems my friends have played with needed the 300 smk loaded past mag length so they only worked as a single loader. I think both were loaded to around 3.7 " OAL. Both these guns would not shoot the 300 smk before they loaded them way out past mag length and they averaged around 2775 with accuracy. They are too short for good performance when set for length for the mag,

Just a thought.

DUH
__________________
With each step in the bush, you are a step closer.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-31-2009, 05:55 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 136
Re: 338 lapua and ADI powders.

How tight do the MLR's shoot with the 300gn SMK..? Just curious as there is a big difference price wise going to a custom build. Looing at Options!

TB
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-01-2010, 04:39 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: VICTORIA AUSTRALIA
Posts: 912
Re: 338 lapua and ADI powders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by signature542 View Post
How tight do the MLR's shoot with the 300gn SMK..? Just curious as there is a big difference price wise going to a custom build. Looing at Options!

TB

Some shoot great then others dont ? Just a roll of the dice I guess ?

DUH
__________________
With each step in the bush, you are a step closer.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: 338 lapua and ADI powders.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
powders for 300 WSM flyin lizard Reloading 14 10-11-2009 08:07 PM
338-378 & Powders David Long Long Range Hunting & Shooting 16 08-18-2009 08:26 PM
New powders! Tyler Kemp Reloading 1 01-20-2009 06:33 PM
300 WSM powders Hunter66654 Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 17 03-04-2004 05:57 PM
300 RUM Powders *WyoWhisper* Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 5 04-22-2003 07:54 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC