Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Regional Forums > The Rest Of The World

The Rest Of The World Canada, Europe, South America, Etc.

Passing thru Frankfurt with Guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Bronze Member

Passing thru Frankfurt with Guns

I am planning to go back to Namibia in 2012 for another plains game hunt and would like to know if anyone has gone thru Frankfurt, Germany with their guns? We flew to Johannesburg first and then back to Namibia and I would rather get a direct flight from Frankfurt and cut Jo'burg out.

My plan is to take a night flight from the U.S. to Frankfurt and then tour around town and take another night flight to Namibia.

If anyone has passed thru Frankfurt please let me know if you had to touch your weapons when changing planes and your overall experience with this.

Thanks,

Mudbug
Old 11-06-2010, 11:45 PM
Gold Member

Re: Passing thru Frankfurt with Guns

I fly through Frankfurt several times a year, never with guns though. However I do know you'll want to make sure there's plenty of time between connecting flights, however I think if it's a lot, they make you take out your luggage, which would probably be an issue in Germany. While you can get guns in, my understanding is only if hunting with a registered outfitter IN Germany.

Also, they mix up a lot of luggage, I've had stuff delayed for up to a week on numerous occasions. I know all airports due this, but Frankfurt is quite notorious.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:12 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the reply.

I have heard that you can leave your guns at the airport for a few hours while you sight see but, I do not know for sure. That is my plan if it is so. My connecting flight shouldn't be an issue since I'll arrive in the morning and leave about 8 pm

Thanks

Mudbug
Old 11-13-2010, 02:41 PM

I passed through Frankfurt 3 times with my rifle.
Although I started in Hamburg, Germany to go to Scotland.

If you can, you should check your rifle through to Namibia, so you do not have to handle it in Frankfurt. (That would be really difficult, as you would have to prove that you have a valid license etc.)

In terms of change-over times: when I traveled with Lufthansa, they told me that 45 min. would be OK. AS you go from "international" to "international", you do not even have to change the terminals.

So, anything of about 1 hour in Frankfurt would be enough...

Have fun

M.