Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Regional Forums > South

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

new guy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 02:26 PM

new guy

hey i just joined about 15 minutes ago. im new to long range shooting as a sport it all began last november when my brother killed at whitetail at 350 yrds, i decided to make it a competition. like i said im new to the art. i sold my savage 110 .270 and purchased a remington 700 vtr in .308 my trigger is set at 3.5 pounds with the vortex diamondback 4-12x40 so far i am pleased with my set up have only put 120 rounds thru it and am shooting nickel size groups of three at 273 yrds ( the end of my home range). if anyone has advice for me please share. ps. very limited budget.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:57 PM

Re: new guy

I'm a new guy too and just picked up a Rem 700 in .308 as well...

Are you thinking you might reload? I am, I just bought some dies, primers, powder measure and a few other things.

Sounds like your shooting some pretty decent groups already!
Old 04-06-2013, 10:58 AM

Re: new guy

I currently have a friend that reloads for my i dont know the amount of powder that he uses but the bullet right now is a sierra match 180 grain with federal cases the powder brand is alliant. before you start reloading you need to determine the twist in your barrel (most likely 1:12) and then the recommended grain for that twist. thats the best place to start.
i love my group but have since discovered my rifle doesnt fit me that great so i have to adjust the scope distance for proper eye relief and in turn re-sight but im confident that it wont take much. best advice i have is read all the posts you can on here related to what you want and have it helped me alot. oh let me know if you find somewhere i can shoot 500+ yrs near central oklahoma. my range ends at 275
good luck
respectfully
tinyhead