Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Regional Forums > West

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Where in WA?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 12:04 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Where in WA?

I know Chris Thompson well. His butcher business is doing well. Yes I pack but mostly for myself. I help a local packer ( Cascade Wilderness Outfitters, Steve and Jessie Darwood ) through out the summer. Love every part of it. The last frontier so to speak. I socialize with Tom McCoy from WDFW from time to time. A really good man!
Old 05-30-2013, 12:15 PM
Bronze Member

Does Chris still wear the WDFW hat I traded him for Jerkey the day I left town? If not you should mention you know the guy that traded him the hat, and he wants it back

I worked for Charles Frady, and Charlie Snow, out of the WDFW office which is on the main road half mile before you go over the bridge heading into Twisp from the East. Fisheries related stuff. I have only hunted in that area once. It was great. I have been trying to get some friends interested in starting a "hunting camp" over there every year. Been hard. Just really fun country to hunt in, a nice change from the Jungle of moss and ferns I have out here in Forks, WA.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:40 PM
Silver Member

We packed into the head waters of Monument Creek and only saw a few deer on the way in. The packer lived between Twisp and Winthrop. Can't remember his name it was in the 70's. The packer got a bear on the way out after he dropped us of at the camp site. My brother inlaw had the goat tag and on the first day in the AM took a billy with 10 1/2" horns and that was the only goat we spotted. We spent the rest of the week exploring the area. Best of times.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:00 PM
Bronze Member

The packer was John Doran. He even today has a lot to learn about the trade and people. He's a type as some people would say. The Passayten wilderness is huge with lots of opportunity but the really big deer show up down low by the end of the season. There was some nice deer taken last year . I know of a 33" 8x9 taken by someone. It was his first deer hunt. Image that. I myself shot a 28" 4x5. The weather came in at just the right time up high. First deer for my Kimber .270 WSM. Berger VLD 140. Running shot @ 200yards at dusk. We had already had a 26" 4x4 on a pack horse and was riding out when this big fella came across the hill side. I feel fortunate to have a shot once I got off my horse and rifle out of the scabbard. He dropped pretty much in his tracks. That's super good especially at dusk. Good trip.

Ted
Old 05-31-2013, 08:24 AM
Bronze Member

Sounds like a fun way to end a hunt! So the big deer starting coming in down low around Halloween - Mid November? Just making sure as I am writing that down!
Old 05-31-2013, 08:49 AM
Bronze Member

Normally the larger migratory deer come in with the bad weather which is generally November. The high country starts to fill up with snow mid Oct on. Last year was an exception. The last week of the general season ( Oct. 18th ) saw some real nice deer. It also was area specific. Pearragen area and north
Old 05-31-2013, 09:01 AM
Bronze Member

I can't wait for hunting season! I find out today if I am moving to MT or not. After which I can start planning my hunts. As usual, so many options and not enough time or tags!