Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Regional Forums > West

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Where in WA?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 05:43 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Where in WA?

Forks, WA here. Can't believe no one else on here is from Forks yet. Bummer.

Blacktails can get quite big. I was lucky enough to get a 160lb 3 point this year. First deer I have taken in Clallam County.

Was lucky enough to get an elk also!
Old 02-22-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarktar View Post

Blacktails can get quite big. I was lucky enough to get a 160lb 3 point this year. First deer I have taken in Clallam County.

That's awesome I have taken a few blacktails myself the biggest was in golden Dale on a late muzzle loader hunt, but thos days are gone to many people are hunting that area anymore so I stick to archery elk and if we stick our elks in the first few days we pull out and head up for the high hunt I try to make sure I have a elk and a deer in the freezer every year. Last year we got caught in the smoke from the Forest fire 7 miles in and had to cut our season short by 4 days
Old 02-22-2013, 09:34 AM
Bronze Member

Awesome. I usually Bow hunt for Elk as well, but last year I was unable to make the season as we left the state for family issues. Therefore I took part in the rifle season. I have to say, it was a really productive rifle season for me. I think this was due to all the scouting and previous years of bow hunting.

Just got all my arrows ready for this year, and am thinking about doing a high buck hunt in the Olympics for deer. Or possibly heading over to the Methow Chewuch area for Mullies.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:39 AM

hey clarkstar, good work. sounds like a real nice two and a half year old. thats right on the money weight wise, three years ago i shot a perfectly symmetrical 3 point that was right at 160 lbs. the fires last year made pre-season scouting tough. best of luck to you guys this year.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:52 AM
Bronze Member

Good Luck to you as well. I was amazed at the perfect symmetry on the rack as well. The tips of two tines were broken off, and they seemed to be broke exactly the same. It was pretty neat.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarktar View Post

Live weight est. field dressed, or head and hide off hanging at the butcher? Certified scale?
Old 02-22-2013, 01:19 PM
Bronze Member

Live wt. estimate from butcher. Not sure about certified scales etc.. If I recall correctly it was around 100 lbs of meat. So it is assumed all bones heat and entrails were around 60 lbs.