Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Regional Forums > West

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Went hunting and caught some fish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 12:49 AM
Bronze Member

Went hunting and caught some fish

Fun day. Loaded kids, guns, and fishing gear into the truck this afternoon and headed for parts unknown loaded for bears, gophers, and fish. First stop was Townsend Marine to pick up my rebuilt prop. It looks great and I can't wait to get it in the water.

I took the kids to Rocky Mountain Supply for snacks and found a couple of boxes of shells I'll be needing before too long. My son Joshua Helfrich was driving through Townsend with his mom and jumped in the truck with us as we went in search of fin and fur.

We took a ride up Duck Creek on the east side of Canyon Ferry Reservoir to the snow line in search of Josh's first bear. No bears or bear sign were seen but we had a nice ride in a new area. We did however get to see deer, antelope, and wild turkeys. I clucked and purred good enough to get a couple of the tom's to gobble for the kids.

We went down to Court Sheriff bay on Canyon Ferry for a quick try on some fish before we had to take Josh home. We ended with 2 fish to the net and one LDR in a half hour of fishing. Josh is going to spend a few days with us and the weather is supposed to be better this weekend so more stories are sure to come!

Going for the net job on his sisters fish.

Full spawning colors.

Time for sister to help.

Happy kids!

Jay
Old 04-21-2013, 05:10 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Went hunting and caught some fish

Jay- Cute kids!!
Old 04-22-2013, 02:43 PM
Silver Member

Thats great. Looks like they were landing some great fish.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:19 AM

Good to see that the kids were having fun and that you took them out to enjoy the outdoors.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:46 AM
Bronze Member

I have 3 weeks off the next time I'm home so I think there will be more bear hunting and fishing stories to tell. I'll keep ya updated.

Jay

Winchester Model 70 Black Shadow in 300 Win Mag, all factory, shooting Remington Core-Lokt 180 PSP factory rounds. Shoots too good to try and "fix" it. Multiple one shot kills to 400+/- yards and one kill at 815 yards.

Winchester Model 70 XTR in 264 Win Mag with Nikon 4.5x14SF BDC running HSM ammo loaded with 140 Grain Bergers. Antelope killer!

Someday, a APS Raptor LRSS in 338 AX. Time to step up my game. Ordered 10/2011 and still waiting!