Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Regional Forums > West

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Oryx (Gemsbok) hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 08:32 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Oryx (Gemsbok) hunt

May will be okay weather for the most part. Still have cool nights but days can be warm to hot. You will be hunting in the basin so expect greasewood and mesquite, cactus, sand, rocks...beautiful country! It doesn't look all that rugged but once you get into it, you will realize it is and distances can be very long.

You can get some wind and it can be pretty strong at times. We haven't had a lot this year yet so who knows if it will hit or not. Around here we always say if it doesn't blow in March and April it will blow allthe way to August which isn't much fun.

A buddy of mine has taken 3 and all the stories about them being tough are true. Last one he got was at 200 yards with a 300 Winny Mag and he heart shot the old boy, big hole in the heart and the thing still ran in a big circle for 75+ yards. They are good eating, kinda like strong beef to me. I've never been lucky enough to get a tag but been on a couple of hunts with others. You need good optics too and plan to look for them a lot. You would think they would stand out like a sore thumb but they blend in very well.

These you shoot through the shoulder, not behind it like we are used to. Their heart is forward of where we usually think. Bulls will be around the 500/550 lb area for larger ones and cows 300-400 lbs. Cows generally have thinner but longer horns.

Stalking is tough too, they are very aware of their surroundings and when in a larger group have lots of eyes looking around. There are fewer of them these days and I know people who have been on the trophy hunt and either taken an immature one as the only one they saw or gone home empty handed.

Good luck!
Old 04-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Bronze Member

I hope I draw the off range again this year.Since I live here I can spend 30 days hunting.Not many chances to do that any more.The herds have been impacted by hunting pressure and the oryx have gone into the hardest areas to hunt.If you are willing to search for these areas it can still be a great hunt.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:37 PM

I took a nice bull last September at the Stallion range. What a fun hunt. The animals have incredible eye site much like antelope. We had some running from us at 5,000 yards. I took a heavy 33". I stalked it for about 800 yards in no cover open country. shot it at about 300 yards with a 7mag 168 I heard it hit hard. It bucked up and ran 20 yards and looked back. Gave it another on the other shoulder. Ran again for 30 yards and dropped! These things can take the lead! When dressed out, I hit the heard and both lungs with the 2 shots. Tough Animals!