Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Regional Forums > West

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Oregon road closure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 07:45 PM
Silver Member

Oregon road closure

Hey fellow Oregonians! I have just heard that the National Forest is looking at closing all non-improved roads next year. If any one has more information about this, please post it.

Living in the Valley, there has not been one report on it. My uncle from the east side just shared with me that the place that we have camped and hunted for 35+ years would not allow us to drive to camp anymore!

What I have heard is it would be only rock roads, but they have not produced maps yet.

This sounds like they are trying to sneak one past us.

With private land tied up and no road accesses to national forest! You would not be allowed to go anywhere in OR!

Share some facts if you could.

Willys
Old 09-14-2010, 10:39 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Oregon road closure

I dont think so. I havent hered anything about it yet. Nor have I seen any evidence of it. I frequent the local hunting/sportinggoods shops all around central and eastern Or and havent hered anything remotely close to that. Specifically what part of Oregon? (no Im not asking where you hunt) How much is the tickett if you get caught? Maybe pool the $ togather to pay it before you go

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 09-14-2010, 11:20 PM
Silver Member

What I have found out, it will not start tell Jan 1st 2011.

We have hunted silver lake my whole life, but that is changing.

What they have been talking, is everything in a national forest that is not a gravel road would be off limits. No sure what the ticket will be, but I would bet they will make it stiff!

I live in the Portland, but travel to bend every week for work, and I heard it form two different people. One was at a hospital and the other was my uncle in K-falls.

As you know, most of the roads that we hunt or camp on are the two track pumy dirt roads. As we understand it, off limits. I know people that drive miles on two track to get to their hunting spots. Heck most of Oregon would be off limits!

Keep your ear open, If this is gossip and no teeth, let me know. the last thing I want to do is give out false info.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:24 PM
Silver Member

I know someone that works in the Prineville Forest Service office. I just forwarded the first post to her. Should have some kind of response tomorrow.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:07 PM
Silver Member

OK, here is the info I got back, not much but I hope it helps a little.

"To clarify, the few to be closed are probably already closed. They are not closing ALL the unimproved roads. You can tell your buddies to go to Deschutes & Ochoco National Forests to find the travel management information. "
Old 09-17-2010, 03:00 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys46 View Post
Hey fellow Oregonians! I have just heard that the National Forest is looking at closing all non-improved roads next year. If any one has more information about this, please post it.

Living in the Valley, there has not been one report on it. My uncle from the east side just shared with me that the place that we have camped and hunted for 35+ years would not allow us to drive to camp anymore!

What I have heard is it would be only rock roads, but they have not produced maps yet.

This sounds like they are trying to sneak one past us.

With private land tied up and no road accesses to national forest! You would not be allowed to go anywhere in OR!

Share some facts if you could.

Willys
well that just sucks,how we gonna chase out all the illegals growin pot and poaching?but really oregon is turning into one of the finest commie states just like california and washington.thanks kulengoskii thought the citizens of oregon owned the forests and the forest service MANAGED it didnt know they owned it

Last edited by D.A.T.; 09-17-2010 at 06:58 PM.