West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Nor-Cal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Silver Member

If you want to mapquest it you can type in
[1300-1429] Rabe Rd
Oroville, CA 95965

Otherwise you can take 99 to E. Hamilton Road which will turn into Larkin road eventually... GO past Thermalito Afterbay (if you're a salmon fisherman you'll know this place) and it'll be like your second right (Rabe Road).

Or you can go up 70 (Through Yuba City) until you get to Oroville Dam Road exit, take a left and drive until Larkin Road then drive until you see the ATV park and it'll be like the next left past that Rabe Road again...
Old 04-03-2008, 11:26 PM
Silver Member

I shoot at the sac-valley range, 600 and 1000. I am not a member but I shoot matches monthly there. It is a top notch range. I live near RedBluff and belong to TSA, Tehama Shooters Association, we shoot 1000 as well, there are reactive targets and monthly matches as well, you have to be a member for general use but all matches are open to the public. Ron Tilley
Old 11-21-2010, 01:09 PM

Re: Nor-Cal

The Sac Valley range does require a membership. They also require you to shoot one quailfing group at 100 to shoot the 300yd range. After all they do have to build the target backstops and you would be surprised how many people cannot zero a rifle. Once you qualify with a 5-8" group at 300 they upon request will show you the extended ranges and go over the rules since it is un-supervised. Once thats done your in and able to shoot on the 1000 yd range. Personally I do not think it is jumping through hoops. If your shooting the 1000 yd range, its nice to know you don't have to condend with ammo sprayers.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:50 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Nor-Cal

I have been to the Oroville range and it is not too bad for a public range. We know it as the "clay pits". It has chem toilets and you are shooting pretty level to get to 100-500 yards. Concrete benches and the road/ parking lot is graveled. It is maybe 50 min from my place.

But the wind can be really bad there and if we are getting that dry cold north wind, it will be a 20-40 mph cross wind. And like most of Nor Cal, it is wicked hot in the summer. There is no shade at all there. If your going to go for a summer day, take a canopy. Don't drop any brass for any amount of time. The Hmong guy will grab it up quickly.

Do NOT go to the Spenceville Wildlife range! Way too many unsafe crazies. Only 300 yards and you are having to shoot way uphill to get there. Lat time I was there, there were no benches (there were but they're shot up now) and the place was trashed.

I just pushed in a new berm at a buddies ranch. We can shoot out to 600 yards now. It is nice to have friend with your own privet range. 15 min from your door.