Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Regional Forums > West

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

MT going to cut loose on wolves!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2011, 03:27 PM
Platinum Member

Re: MT going to cut loose on wolves!!!

Your right about the Federalies, as far as I know there is only one guy in the western part of MT investigating wolf shootings.
We were just talking about wolf problems this morning, we haven't had hardly any troubles this year which also co-insides with the local guys adopting the shoot on site approach to wolf management. I know several ranchers who have basically told the FWP not to set a foot on their land over a wolf shooting, and no one has had any problems with that, now it's not the local Wardens job so at least those guys don't have to be put in the bad position over wolves!
Old 02-18-2011, 09:16 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
Your right about the Federalies, as far as I know there is only one guy in the western part of MT investigating wolf shootings.
Let's hope it stays that way - but don't be surprised if new faces show up REAL SHORTLY.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:35 AM
Bronze Member

Rode the magrueder trail on an atv for a solid week last august, 115 miles across, cuts across the two biggest wilderness in the united states. We didnt see any elk or elk tracts or deer, not even a coyote. When we reached darby mt. one of the locals asked if we saw anything? nope nothing . He said it was because of the wolves, he said the fish and game once had a count of 18,000 elk in this unit and they did a fly over in january on the wintering range and only came up with 800, they did another fly over in march and were down to 500 count. The locals say this could take 75 to 100 years to replentish the herd. I wonder where the wolves will go when the food source is gone????????? Just a thought to ponder over.....
Old 03-14-2011, 07:25 PM
Silver Member

I can't remember exactly what the phrase of "SSS" is but I believe it was something like "Shoot, Shovel and Shut-up!" It's been used here in Idaho for quite some time and will continue. It should be exercised in Montana.
The first hunter that killed a wolf, when Idaho's wolf season was open, faced all kinds of death threats on he and his family after his picture and story was printed in our newspapers. Next, an anti got a list from Idaho's F&G of every hunter that legally shot and tagged a wolf and set up a website listing all their names and addresses. This caused additional threats to those listed by the anti's. Our legislature passed a bill that now keeps that information out of the public's hands.
One has to wonder that if Wyoming had been responsible in doing their part, as Montana and Idaho did, if they would have unlisted wolves and kept them unlisted or not. We, that live here, know the relisting of wolves has nothing to do with the biological evidence that more than proved wolf recovery evident, but a political ploy by a federal judge married to the anti's.
It's nice to have a rifle that can take one out at 1500+ yards. OOPS! SSS
Old 03-14-2011, 08:40 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone Ballistic View Post
I can't remember exactly what the phrase of "SSS" is but I believe it was something like "Shoot, Shovel and Shut-up!" It's been used here in Idaho for quite some time and will continue. It should be exercised in Montana.
The first hunter that killed a wolf, when Idaho's wolf season was open, faced all kinds of death threats on he and his family after his picture and story was printed in our newspapers. Next, an anti got a list from Idaho's F&G of every hunter that legally shot and tagged a wolf and set up a website listing all their names and addresses. This caused additional threats to those listed by the anti's. Our legislature passed a bill that now keeps that information out of the public's hands.
One has to wonder that if Wyoming had been responsible in doing their part, as Montana and Idaho did, if they would have unlisted wolves and kept them unlisted or not. We, that live here, know the relisting of wolves has nothing to do with the biological evidence that more than proved wolf recovery evident, but a political ploy by a federal judge married to the anti's.
It's nice to have a rifle that can take one out at 1500+ yards. OOPS! SSS
I am with you on this, I am from Wyoming and wish my state would grow some
B!*lls.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member

My father in-law watched a pack of 5 from his living room the other day, they were 1.5 miles from a fairly large subdivision just playing around for half a day then moving on.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member

CPGfan---You lost me on that comment. Wyoming has held it's ground because they wanted all of them to be legal targets outside the agreed upon boundary that was set up when they were introduced back into the 90s. Are you suggesting they change that stance so the Feds will delist and then just let people do the SSS and not follow up any suspected killings? That may have been what they should have done right from the start in all the states!