Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Regional Forums > West

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Montana corner crossing law hb235

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 02:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Montana corner crossing law hb235

Got to talking with a very level headed rancher the other day about corner jumping.I asked him what harm is there in me steping across the corner (to the best of my knowledge) He just smiled and said that it in itself wouldnt hurt much at all. Then he proceeded to give a brief history on his land. He use to let people drive back there if they asked=Then they quit asking and in time the road was tore up beyond use and he had to pay to fix it. After that he allowed access only by foot....If they asked, fair enough right? Well most would ask and those that did walked in but there are those that will abuse anything and everything and the road started getting tore up again and he shut it down and to be fair he shut it down to EVERYBODY....It made life a whole lot easier and cheaper for him,simple as that!
He looks me right in the eye and asks so do you see where this corner jumping thing will go?
To the landowners this is a fight much like the gun/parts ban is to most of us=Give them an inch today and they will take a foot tomorrow.
Sure wish I had a solution as there are those on both sides that are abuseing it!
Old 01-31-2013, 02:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300stw View Post
yep dont forget who feeds many of the cattle and sheep in this world, PUBLIC GROUND
And paid for by the rancher in thousands each year. They pay for grazing public lands by the pair per day and it ain't cheep.

Jeff
Old 01-31-2013, 04:17 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
And paid for by the rancher in thousands each year. They pay for grazing public lands by the pair per day and it ain't cheep.

Jeff
I would agree - it ain't cheap. But - it is more economically priced than any private ground I can rent to graze
Old 01-31-2013, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Jeff
Some of the allotments are paid for every year but the rancher can only run cattle once every three years. So what they pay is triple what they actually use.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 01-31-2013, 06:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
I just don't feel corner jumping would ever be the answer. There needs to be surveys, and trades, purchases or easements obtained for a legal access area. The reason it is called corner jumping is because that is just what it is. You have to jump or take a long step to get across it.

Jeff
I completely agree. Not a good solution. Other arrangements need to be made. But something should be done because what we have now is a screw job to a majority of residents.

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
As a landowner and a sportsman I see both sides of this. I like Bigngreen's examples because I've been there, done that from a Sportsman's side. Also have the same opinion on eminent domain - have had to fight that one too.
Having to use eminent domain would suck. But the current state of affairs also sucks.

Quote:
This bill would have opened over 1 million acres to the public though that are now some personal property owners personal play grounds.
Theoretically, but in reality, probably much less and corner jumping would be a PIA to the jumpers and the land owners.

Quote:
Best example is, take a look at the Crazies Mtn on a map. Solid checkerboard and there is minimal fences and half way up there are no fences. I don't think the outfitter or landowner wants any of that public ground opened up no matter how you do it, why would they.
Very true. Eminent domain?

Bottom line is that big land owners weild a lot of power in this state and it will take a lot of convicing and persuasion to change things. I think if it ever happens, it will be a long slow process.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 01-31-2013, 07:47 PM
Silver Member

I'm not a fan of eminent domain but without any leverage the ranchers have no incentive to make a land swap deal. Personally , if the land owner made the state use eminent domain then I want the state to give them the minimum. Offer a good deal and if they deal with bad faith then shaft them. A couple of hard cases getting a couple of hundred bucks and a big legal bill and the rest would make a deal to swap a 1/4 acre easement at a corner for a couple of acres of grazing land. There has to be a real threat that it's going to happen one way or the other.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

Eminent Domain, against Montana's leading and largest industry..

Yeah, that's going to fly. Heck, lets just take all their land and open it to hunting only. Lets take all their guns too. And this coming from the group of people that are against assault weapons ban, fighting to keep our freedoms. But it's ok to take freedoms as long as they are not yours.

Well I think it is time for me to read a different thread for a while.

Jeff