West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Montana corner crossing law hb235

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 11:09 PM
Gold Member

Re: Montana corner crossing law hb235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I agree. But there needs to be legal access obtained or granted. At this time, when we are all concerned about loosing our freedoms, do we feel it would be right to force private property owners to allow free access across private land to get there? It is not the property owners fault that the state or BLM acquired parcels of ground that was surrounded by private land on 4 sides. That's why I say a legal access point need to be surveyed and obtained for access. Also there needs to be corner markers put up where ever there are no fences. Proper proceedures need to be followed, not just a have at it mentality.

Jeff
There are corner pins,if you look hard enough you will find em.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:14 PM
Gold Member

Any land owner that tells you he doesnt know where his corner markers are is full of IT.This will come about,eventually they will get it on the ballot and the voters of MT will do what is right (just like we did with elk farms and outfitter tags),if your a land owner that has enjoyed the only access to these PUBLIC lands for the last several decades you better get ready for a change.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:12 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONYA View Post
Any land owner that tells you he doesnt know where his corner markers are is full of IT.This will come about,eventually they will get it on the ballot and the voters of MT will do what is right (just like we did with elk farms and outfitter tags),if your a land owner that has enjoyed the only access to these PUBLIC lands for the last several decades you better get ready for a change.
The outfitter tags (I-161) passed by a high margin and I believe it passed mainly on emotion and lack of knowledge. It was an anti outfitter bill, plain and simple and most people thought they were sticking it to the outfitters. Take a look at what a NR pays for tags today versus what they did previously. Then tell me how that law, along with allowing NR refunds if they do not draw special areas, what kind of shape did that put our block management and FWP in financially today. I-161 was going to be the answer to outfitters not leasing up land because they were no longer guaranteed a number of licenses. I don't know one single outfitter that dropped a lease or one more acre of land that was opened up to John Q Public.

Do you realize there is a bill "sailing" through Helena right now that would make trespassing a "civil case" and an immediate $ 1500.00 penalty. No questions asked. So you better not be X feet off the corner or you will be hammered.

As far as the game farm bill - there were too few involved to fund the lawsuit needed against the State so it eventually went by the wayside. With agriculture being the #1 industry in this State you have thousands of land owners and they are not going to go away. You better get every democrat candidate from the larger cities elected if you hope this will happen.

With your attitude, you and I as sportsman have got chit for chance against the outfitters and landowners on this corner crossing.

I don't care if you go through the time, effort and money to get corner crossing on a ballot - and I believe it would pass because of the city vote, but you may win the battle but landowners will win the war. A vote of the people of Montana does not make something legal by the constitution - just ask all the medical grass growers in court right now that were legal by State law and are being prosecuted by the Feds.

Cooler heads need to come together on this issue otherwise all hell is going to break loose.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:00 AM
Gold Member

Whatever it is that you are smoking you should lay off it for a while.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:47 AM
Silver Member

I feel there are greater injustices being done that most people don't realize. The out right stealing / pirating of public lands and "right of ways" . I have seen many instantance where adjacent land owners will fence accross right-of-ways and/or 6 mile section right-of-ways and hang a "No Treaspass " sign on it . I have seen a great deal of this in North Dakota and Montana. Many instantances in Montana , roads on maps either don't exist or fenced off. The adjacent landowners are not beyond intimadating you with thier " Your NOT going down MY public road back to MY public lands. These lands are outright stolen from the American public. Get a good pulblic county land map anywhere and go 4-wheeling . We should wake up and fight back.