West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Montana corner crossing law hb235

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 11:33 PM
Gold Member

Re: Montana corner crossing law hb235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Actually you are the first I have heard oppose it. All the hunters I have talked with are for it.

By the way you might find interest in reading the actual Bill. The funds are not just for Block Management. It is for access as well as other things.

http://data.opi.mt.gov/bills/2013/billpdf/HB0404.pdf

Jeff
Jeff:
Don't read something into a person's comments that are not there, and I know what the funds for HB404 are intended for. This bill may try to solve the corner crossing bill but it's where the money is coming from that I have the concern with. Taking money out of the Habitat Montana fund to pay for corner crossing, block management and access "to me" is like Washington reducing social security and medicare to fund our national defense.

HB404 is getting the money to do this by tapping into the Habitat Montana Fund which is funded by sportsman's dollars for habitat protection and acquisition. The FWP are already pressed for funds and now this bill will stretch their budget even further. HB404 isn't using any new money - they are reallocating money that was intended for other purposes. This bill needs to stand on its own as far as procuring money, either that or all other areas in FWP are going to suffer.

There are many sportsman in this State that are well aware of the financial conditions facing our FWP and they are very concerned over this robbing Peter to pay Paul bill. If a person doesn't give a hoot about habitat protection or acquisition in the future than this bill may show some promise. If not then HB404 needs to come up with their own source of revenue.

I have read the bill - and I don't like the money source.

Here is another take on HB404 - I could give you many more.

GOP "solves" corner-crossing question, by reducing funds for wildlife habitat | Indy Blog
Old 02-26-2013, 10:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
If a person doesn't give a hoot about habitat protection or acquisition in the future than this bill may show some promise.
I understand but you did realize the funding from habitat was only for 2 years didn't you? Just pointing this out as I felt it is important. So when we talk about the future of a long term program I didn't feel 2 years was that long. And I am sure Kelly Flynn has done some budgeting, I feel he is doing a pretty good job for us. I am sure you will be able to find many articles where most of the Dem's are against anything the Rep's come up with. The Dem's are the ones pushing for the taking of private property without just compensation. Much like many of us believe will happen with our guns. I say we keep and protect our constitution, our guns and choice of religion just the way it has been for years.

So, we know the FWP is low on funds. I feel this is greatly the result of the big HB161 that was going to give so much to block management and open up so many acres to hunt. But it has gone the opposite direction. Maybe they need to overturn that bill and put non res tag prices back to where they were?

I am being serious when I ask you where you would get the funds to start repair of the locked up land problem?

Or are we just back to the "we have no money and this needs fixed so lets just take the private property owners land and use it even if they object, we can just pass HB235 and make trespassing a noncriminal act?"

Jeff
Old 02-26-2013, 10:24 AM
Platinum Member

in wyoming all sections have (or should have) steel markers in each corner, and a lot of public/private transitions happen on section lines so if there is a steel marker you have 0 chance of trespassing... i personally dont think it should even be an issue. if you are afraid of someone putting a foot inside your propertyline then fence it off... Around here there is one land owner in particular who likes to extend is fences and locked gates onto public land to discourage hunters. This has worked out well for me because he has tried to stop me from being on these public places and I have had to bust out the map, compass and gps to show him im on to his BS

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 02-26-2013, 10:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
in wyoming all sections have (or should have) steel markers in each corner, and a lot of public/private transitions happen on section lines so if there is a steel marker you have 0 chance of trespassing... i personally dont think it should even be an issue. if you are afraid of someone putting a foot inside your propertyline then fence it off... Around here there is one land owner in particular who likes to extend is fences and locked gates onto public land to discourage hunters. This has worked out well for me because he has tried to stop me from being on these public places and I have had to bust out the map, compass and gps to show him im on to his BS
Corner jumping is just not a good solution at all for a lot of reasons. We need to rearrange land through swapping and sales and purchases, bottom line.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 02-26-2013, 10:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I understand but you did realize the funding from habitat was only for 2 years didn't you? Just pointing this out as I felt it is important. So when we talk about the future of a long term program I didn't feel 2 years was that long. And I am sure Kelly Flynn has done some budgeting, I feel he is doing a pretty good job for us. I am sure you will be able to find many articles where most of the Dem's are against anything the Rep's come up with. The Dem's are the ones pushing for the taking of private property without just compensation. Much like many of us believe will happen with our guns. I say we keep and protect our constitution, our guns and choice of religion just the way it has been for years.

So, we know the FWP is low on funds. I feel this is greatly the result of the big HB161 that was going to give so much to block management and open up so many acres to hunt. But it has gone the opposite direction. Maybe they need to overturn that bill and put non res tag prices back to where they were?

I am being serious when I ask you where you would get the funds to start repair of the locked up land problem?

Or are we just back to the "we have no money and this needs fixed so lets just take the private property owners land and use it even if they object, we can just pass HB235 and make trespassing a noncriminal act?"

Jeff
Jeff, maybe I'm missing something but if there were land swaps and sales and purchases, it should all work out fairly even $$$ wise, shouldn't it?

And I agree that 25% for 2 years shouldn't be that big of deal. That said, I think access via BM land is the least desirable solution because cooperation is voluntary on the part of the land owner who could decide not to participate and we are back to square one.

I think the best solutions are sales and purchase exchanges, swaps, and permanent easement purchases.

Also, I know a few sections of state land that are not good for hunting because they are grain fields, etc., and hold no meaningful game. IMO, the landowner/lessee should be required to purchase those sections as he is the only one who uses and benefits from them. The money from these sales could be used to purchase other lands that offer quality hunting and game habitat.

Just some thoughts.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 02-26-2013, 10:53 AM
Platinum Member

Well the area I live in Land owners typically own farm ground... swapping land isnt an option for these people. Might be an option for a guy who owns land on the mountain or something. But that is definitley not the best solution... there is nothing wrong with corner jumping and the land owners need to get over it

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 02-26-2013, 11:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
Well the area I live in Land owners typically own farm ground... swapping land isnt an option for these people. Might be an option for a guy who owns land on the mountain or something. But that is definitley not the best solution... there is nothing wrong with corner jumping and the land owners need to get over it
So Mike if they wanted to make a walk way across the corner of your back yard to access a lot with no access you would be ok with them using that corner of your private property for a traffic point?

Visualize an , x , you own the left and right corners. They need x amount of feet left and right each direction of your private property. You should just let them use it or give it to them?

Jeff