Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Regional Forums > West

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Looking for AZ shooters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2008, 07:21 PM
Silver Member

Looking for AZ shooters

Anybody from the AZ area, looking to move that way in the fall of this year and was looking for some info on the Prescott area. Job situation, housing, etc. I am a machinist and my wife will have her CPA by then ( I hope ;)). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tim

Last edited by TAP; 03-23-2008 at 07:22 PM. Reason: sp
Old 03-25-2008, 02:07 PM
Silver Member

I live in Tempe. AZ is great. I ve been through Prescott numerous times, but am not familiar with the job market there. Welcome to AZ!!
Old 03-25-2008, 09:38 PM
Silver Member

Thanks. The more I check into it the better it sounds.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:19 PM

TAP,

I just moved to Prescott a little over a year ago and have no regrets!!! I lived in the Phoenix area all my life but it just got to big, busy, and spread out. We love it here and really enjoy the slower pace and cooler temps.

The Prescott area is growing and as a result new businesses are entering this market all the time. With the new business brings more people, homes, etc.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck!
Tim
Old 03-28-2008, 12:32 PM
Gold Member

Lovin' AZ

As a native son, I have lived in AZ for over 50 years and have seen a lot of changes. Prescott was once the capital when AZ was just a teritory. The early founding of the town had a lot to do with mining. Bucky Dent, a famous Rough Rider with Teddy Roosevelt, is one its more famous heroes.

Prescott has an "old town square" with lamps, lightposts and a courthouse - just like Mayberry. It has successfully maintained a small town feel, while experiencing tremendous growth. Housing is a little less expensive in Prescott Valley, than it is in Prescott itself. A lot of Phoenicians (people from Phoenix) have summer homes there to escape the Phoenix heat in the summer months. Many also retire there. Californians began flocking there about 10-15 years ago. They found they could sell their expensive CA home, buy a better & larger home in Prescott for half the cost, and bank the difference to live on. Prescott is also promoting its "artsy" community as well. Some pretty cool bars.

Prescott sits at the 5,450 ft. elevation. Unlike Phoenix, it has four distinct seasons and you even get a dusting of snow in the winter. You can get most fruit trees to thrive in Prescott with a little green thumb. The summer days can be quite warm (90's +), but the evenings always cool down. To the north you have lots of flat, open range and BLM land around Paulden for long distance shooting.

Hunting - AZ has many great species. The good news is: the hunts and game are of very good quality. The bad news is: most hunts can be tough to draw out. Get yourself a bow as deer tags are still "over-the-counter". You will use it during the many seasons when you don't draw out. Prescott has fantastic antelope right out your back door. Varmint calling is 10 minutes away, as are the mule deer in the Bradshaw mountains. Prescott is centrally located in the state, so all big game animals are no more than 2 hours away )unless you pick some real remote areas. Snow skiing is an hour away, as is the pool and palm trees - and you can do both on the same day. So...come on in - the water's fine!
Old 05-01-2008, 09:31 AM

The two best things in my life are from Az. My wife is a native and Rex our GSP came from Chino Valley.

Prescott is a great little city. we have some property up there and can't wait to get out of Kali and get on up there and start building our house.
Lots of antelope too.

ML
Old 09-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Silver Member

Re: Looking for AZ shooters

Anyone else from the Prescott or Payson area??
Mike