Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Regional Forums > West

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Just want to say thanks to Local Mt. guys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2009, 03:11 AM
Gold Member

Just want to say thanks to Local Mt. guys

I hunted Mt. the last 2 years and have a really good time with the local guys. I was born here in Id. and lived in Red Lodge for 7. Been hunting the eastern cabinets for the last 2 years and I've gained alot of respect for the locals. I almost hunt exclusively there now because of this fact. Less atvs friendly people, less roads. I really think Mt. has there act together in respect to game management over Idaho. Thanks.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:47 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Just want to say thanks to Local Mt. guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by linksmechanic View Post
I hunted Mt. the last 2 years and have a really good time with the local guys. I was born here in Id. and lived in Red Lodge for 7. Been hunting the eastern cabinets for the last 2 years and I've gained alot of respect for the locals. I almost hunt exclusively there now because of this fact. Less atvs friendly people, less roads. I really think Mt. has there act together in respect to game management over Idaho. Thanks.
Roger that!

Been thinkin' of headin' to MT myself. Just crossing over the divide makes a difference.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:07 AM
Gold Member

Sure does. A good example of the difference between the 2 states was shown today. I pull up to a gate above priest river(no motorized vehicles) at 4 am and hike down to the side of a nice clear cut about 2 miles down the road. Sit in there until it's almost light when i see an atv cut down off the main road through some trees and comes blowing by me. I really don't know how I don't lose my temper. This has happened time and time again. Come on people get off your ass and walk for a change! Oh well it is what it is right?
Old 11-28-2009, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linksmechanic View Post
Sure does. A good example of the difference between the 2 states was shown today. I pull up to a gate above priest river(no motorized vehicles) at 4 am and hike down to the side of a nice clear cut about 2 miles down the road. Sit in there until it's almost light when i see an atv cut down off the main road through some trees and comes blowing by me. I really don't know how I don't lose my temper. This has happened time and time again. Come on people get off your ass and walk for a change! Oh well it is what it is right?
a 2x4 and some 8 penny nails buried in his "New Trail" might make his day.

wheelers have a place in hunting but it's ON the Posted TRAILS
Old 11-30-2009, 02:44 PM
Platinum Member

I have lived in ID and MT and no offense to the ID folks, but Montana's hunting and fishing opportunities are a lot better. But ID is a whole lot better than some other places I've been.

As for ATVs being where they're not supposed to be, it happens here to. I'm gonna start talking ot these guys and getting plate numbers. Absolutly no reason for it when they do have trails they can use.

Mark
Old 11-30-2009, 04:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyboy View Post
a 2x4 and some 8 penny nails buried in his "New Trail" might make his day.

wheelers have a place in hunting but it's ON the Posted TRAILS
You read my mind

Bigbuck
Old 12-01-2009, 12:09 AM
Gold Member

I know what you mean about the MT folks. I met a guy who was visiting my neck of the woods back in 1994 who was from the Missoula/Lolo area. We hit it off pretty well and I've been hunting back there with him just about every year ever since. Our families are all good friends and have camped together quite a few times as well. Also have friends up in Havre and down in the Bozeman area. All real good people. I wish there were more opportunities for my line of work and I'd be back there in a heart beat.