West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Idahoans sound off.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2011, 11:12 AM
Silver Member

Re: Idahoans sound off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck m View Post
Can any of you Idahoans suggest a location for some long range shots around the southwest area, say up to 750 yards. I have some long range pistols that need excersizing. I just don't know where to go legally.

chuck m
The range at Blacks Creek is out to 1000 yards on the long range. They really have a great gun range out there with a full-time Range Master at the shorter sight-in range. I believe it goes out to 400 yards in 25 or 50 yard increments. The last time I was there they charged $6 a day and provided target boards. If you haven't been out there, the fastest way is to take the interstate to the Blacks Creek/Kuna-Mora rd. exit and go South and then East for a couple of miles. It is on the North side of the road. Really a nice range built with Idaho Fish&Game and NRA grants. The Long range shoots across Blacks Creek canyon and is really panoramic.
There's also some pretty good places to shoot south of the Mile 9 marker on the interstate, but you need a 4-wheel drive, and watch out for all the badger holes. You can shoot a few whistle pigs out there as well.
Good luck!
Old 04-02-2011, 06:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone Ballistic View Post
The range at Blacks Creek is out to 1000 yards on the long range. They really have a great gun range out there with a full-time Range Master at the shorter sight-in range. I believe it goes out to 400 yards in 25 or 50 yard increments. The last time I was there they charged $6 a day and provided target boards. If you haven't been out there, the fastest way is to take the interstate to the Blacks Creek/Kuna-Mora rd. exit and go South and then East for a couple of miles. It is on the North side of the road. Really a nice range built with Idaho Fish&Game and NRA grants. The Long range shoots across Blacks Creek canyon and is really panoramic.
There's also some pretty good places to shoot south of the Mile 9 marker on the interstate, but you need a 4-wheel drive, and watch out for all the badger holes. You can shoot a few whistle pigs out there as well.
Good luck!
Last time I went to Blacks Creek it was $8/shooter making it rather expensive if you shoot very many times in a year. They seldom have the upper firing line open, only for special events and the rest of the is closed when it is open. Don't get me started on the constant cross wind.

Black's Creek Range
Old 04-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Silver Member

I have a nice spot that I have marked off to 1000 yards, generally the first weekend of each month they are out playing wargames, so I avoid it then. I have another spot I think I can get a mile shot. Its free and very seldom does anyone very seldom does anyone come out that far. I should have went out yesterday day but my back was killing me and techicly I am not suppose to shoot my gun til July because of my recent back surgery..
Old 04-02-2011, 06:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fj40mojo View Post
Last time I went to Blacks Creek it was $8/shooter making it rather expensive if you shoot very many times in a year. They seldom have the upper firing line open, only for special events and the rest of the is closed when it is open. Don't get me started on the constant cross wind.

Black's Creek Range
Thanks for the update. What, you don't like doping the wind? How are you ever going to hit anything in good old Southern Idaho. If you want to see some real wind, drive on over to Twin Falls. Whatever you drive will get almost twice as good of mileage coming over as going back to Southwestern Idaho.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:28 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird63 View Post
I have a nice spot that I have marked off to 1000 yards, generally the first weekend of each month they are out playing wargames, so I avoid it then. I have another spot I think I can get a mile shot. Its free and very seldom does anyone very seldom does anyone come out that far. I should have went out yesterday day but my back was killing me and techicly I am not suppose to shoot my gun til July because of my recent back surgery..
Take it easy on the back. I've had five surgeries on my lower back and one on my neck. You're never the same again.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:48 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the input, guys. I was hoping for somewhere around Renolds creek. Or out that way.
Take care of your back. I had a few discs' fused back in 2000. Always watch how you lift and turn. Oh ya, and coughing and sneezing also.

I would be interested in going with someone, it is always helpful to have a partner.

chuck m
Old 04-02-2011, 10:10 PM
Gold Member

Chuck
not alot of places up renyolds creek to get to 1000 yards or further
If you are only wanting to shot to 700 for groups/load work up/drop chart info ect try the parma rod and gun club out standing place to shoot. Im off everyother fri/mon if you would like to meet out there some time let me know.
South of kuna on swan falls road is good just get south of the power lines and stay east of the black top.
retiredcpo