Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Regional Forums > West

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Idahoans sound off.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 12:31 PM

Re: Idahoans sound off.

Kamiah, Id right now, but moving to Emmett in a few weeks to attend CWI for the fall semester. Looks like I will be chasing some mulies this season. Gonna have to find some new shooting partners down there.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountry View Post
Kamiah, Id right now, but moving to Emmett in a few weeks to attend CWI for the fall semester. Looks like I will be chasing some mulies this season. Gonna have to find some new shooting partners down there.
Welcome aboard. There a a bunch of really fine people from this great state of ours on this site. Now you're one of them!
Old 08-01-2011, 11:59 PM
Silver Member

Backcountry- have you checked out maps around these parts??? I have only personally hunted unit 39 and don't reccomend it for the faint of heart. Unit 32 is pretty good, lots of private property, I went with a friend on a late season doe hunt last year, tried to draw tags for it this year, but am not sure I will be doing any hunting this year as personal things have gotten real bad for me. Was hoping to be able to kill a nice muley with my new custom rifle. Maybe next year. How ya doin GB-Fish
Old 08-02-2011, 10:58 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird63 View Post
Backcountry- have you checked out maps around these parts??? I have only personally hunted unit 39 and don't reccomend it for the faint of heart. Unit 32 is pretty good, lots of private property, I went with a friend on a late season doe hunt last year, tried to draw tags for it this year, but am not sure I will be doing any hunting this year as personal things have gotten real bad for me. Was hoping to be able to kill a nice muley with my new custom rifle. Maybe next year. How ya doin GB-Fish
Man, it's been a long, slow and painfull process healing. I don't think I've ever had any surgery take the starch out of me like this one has. I've got so much to do this year after buying the new place in Orofino. I've got to get a bunch of permits done up there so I can at least get a road in and my shop up before the snow flies. Good to hear from you.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:13 PM

Freebird63,
I haven't got maps of the areas yet, I plan on it, I just have not had the time to do alot of stuff this year. I was actually considering trying to archery hunt for my deer this year, bought a new bow and am dying to use it. We traveled down to Emmett for a visit last weekend and all I had time to do was chat with the sporting goods guy at Bi-mart, I need to get some maps and try and make a plan of sorts. We will see what I actually have time for this year and what I dont, worst case scenario I will just take a weekend and drive back up to kamiah and fill my deer tag. Not afraid to put a nice size doe in the freezer, it all eats the same.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:44 PM
Silver Member

GB- I have some maps of some of the areas, I bought a bunch at last years sportsmans show. But like I had said things have gotten real tight for me, I still need to get a new set of dies for my 280AI, the dies that came with it I don't like them at all, I found some nice redding dies but for the comp seater die its $120 and for the neck sizer die its $54 and not having any income now makes it real tough to get those things. I was thinking if I could come up with the money for a tag I would try unit 39 again, the wife has already told me she won't hunt up there ever again. I am sure things are still going to get worse for me before they get better. Thats kinda the way my luck rolls. Ya those shoulder surgeries are no fun at all. Its funny you were in my neck of the woods and I was in your neck of the woods. Is your shoulder going to let you hunt with a bow???? For me its going to be a day by day go at life.
Take care GB-Fisch
Old 08-02-2011, 04:03 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird63 View Post
GB- I have some maps of some of the areas, I bought a bunch at last years sportsmans show. But like I had said things have gotten real tight for me, I still need to get a new set of dies for my 280AI, the dies that came with it I don't like them at all, I found some nice redding dies but for the comp seater die its $120 and for the neck sizer die its $54 and not having any income now makes it real tough to get those things. I was thinking if I could come up with the money for a tag I would try unit 39 again, the wife has already told me she won't hunt up there ever again. I am sure things are still going to get worse for me before they get better. Thats kinda the way my luck rolls. Ya those shoulder surgeries are no fun at all. Its funny you were in my neck of the woods and I was in your neck of the woods. Is your shoulder going to let you hunt with a bow???? For me its going to be a day by day go at life.
Take care GB-Fisch
No more Bow Hunting for me. I was told I would and should never lift, pull, push or shove anything over 25lbs after it heals in another 9 or 10 months. If I'm able to do anything archery wise, it'll be with a crossbow. I doubt that that will happen as that is one of the very last things I would ever be able to afford to buy.