West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Idahoans sound off.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2011, 06:47 PM
Silver Member

Re: Idahoans sound off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmint Hunter View Post
Do any of you guys have any info (positive or negative) about Broadmouth Canyon Elk Outfitters in Idaho? I'm considering a 2012 hunt.
If you enjoy a "canned" hunt then this one's for you. Just make sure you ask your guide how much the elk you're wanting to shoot is going to cost before you shoot it, if money means anything to you. 340's and up cost lots of $$$. You'll be hunting in sagebrush flats, quaken aspen and some timber in the Blackfoot Mountain range. Fairly pretty in the fall with the color changes going on. Don't look to run in to any NFL players, if that's the reason you want to hunt there. You might see Rulon Jones, but I doubt it. The Grand Teton Mountains in the background should awe you if you've never been to Idaho. You'll be quite close to Jackson Hole, Wyoming which is exceptional that time of year. Lots of super fishing on the Snake River below Palisades Reservoir as well.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmint Hunter View Post
Do any of you guys have any info (positive or negative) about Broadmouth Canyon Elk Outfitters in Idaho? I'm considering a 2012 hunt.
I know the Jones quite well. They live up the road from me a bit, in Firth.

When he was getting his permits to build the place, I was about the only one on his side at the county commission meetings. He got a royal screwin' from the locals but came out on top regardless.

That is when I decided I'll run for county commission when I get back there. It'll be a one term serve but sure as heck will be memorable.

Accommodations are top cabin and friendly. Country is beautiful. If you ensure that the "boys" won't be out and about attempting to haze things in your favor you'll have no idea that there is a fence.

If you want to ensure you'll get your shot, the "fenced" hunts are the only way to go. I'll be doing one only to ensure that I get a realistic terminal test on a specific bullet in 375.

I'll be doing the hunt under my personal conditions. No guides, I go where I wish and shoot what I want. I'll do my own field dressing and hauling out. Then bask my butt a fancy well tended lodge for a day or two before the 35 minute drive home.

How's that for a thought........?
Old 07-24-2011, 08:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
I know the Jones quite well. They live up the road from me a bit, in Firth.

When he was getting his permits to build the place, I was about the only one on his side at the county commission meetings. He got a royal screwin' from the locals but came out on top regardless.

That is when I decided I'll run for county commission when I get back there. It'll be a one term serve but sure as heck will be memorable.

Accommodations are top cabin and friendly. Country is beautiful. If you ensure that the "boys" won't be out and about attempting to haze things in your favor you'll have no idea that there is a fence.

If you want to ensure you'll get your shot, the "fenced" hunts are the only way to go. I'll be doing one only to ensure that I get a realistic terminal test on a specific bullet in 375.

I'll be doing the hunt under my personal conditions. No guides, I go where I wish and shoot what I want. I'll do my own field dressing and hauling out. Then bask my butt a fancy well tended lodge for a day or two before the 35 minute drive home.

How's that for a thought........?
Thanks for the feedback. I had no idea that there were any fences anywhere @ Broadmouth. That's something that you don't see in the video depicting the vast mountain ranges and beautiful countryside.

The whole fence thing is both surprising and disappointing - sounds more like hunting in Africa. Glad I posted here to get some first hand info.

Any other outfitters that I should consider?
Old 07-24-2011, 09:26 AM
Silver Member

Russell Pond Outfitters is one of the very best, located in St. Maries, Id. If you go to your search engine and type in top idaho elk guides you will find a website that has reviews from hunters that have hunted with various guides. I can't imagine that Russell Pond Outfitters isn't there with accolades from hunters, as they are the best I've ever gone with hunting anything. They know where the game is before you arrrive and guide you expertly. You need to be in good physical shape as you will be doing a fair amount of climbing. You will see a lot of game. You will probably have a terrific opportunity to shoot a wolf and mule deer in the 180 and above range as well. I was stupid and didn't buy a deer tag and missed out getting a muley of a lifetime. You will see lots of elk and, if you don't fill your tag, it will be your fault, not the guide's. Their website is: www.russellpond.com

Last edited by Gone Ballistic; 07-24-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:49 AM

Varmint Hunter:

I am not aware of this outfitter. But, this is a big state with many of them, so that means nothing. I would try to offer you any information if I had any.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:02 AM
Silver Member

Varmint Hunter,
I found the site I mentioned in my previous post. You can peruse most of the guides that have prior client reviews and judge for yourself. I noticed that several reviewers left their email addresses. This will enable you to contact those previous clients and discuss with them how their outfitter handled them.
www.huntinfo.com/idaho-outfitter-guide-reviews
Old 07-26-2011, 07:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone Ballistic View Post
Varmint Hunter,
I found the site I mentioned in my previous post. You can peruse most of the guides that have prior client reviews and judge for yourself. I noticed that several reviewers left their email addresses. This will enable you to contact those previous clients and discuss with them how their outfitter handled them.
www.huntinfo.com/idaho-outfitter-guide-reviews
Thanks for the info - I sent them an email for additional information on their elk hunts.