Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Regional Forums > West

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Idahoans sound off.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2011, 08:37 AM
Silver Member

Re: Idahoans sound off.

You totally missed my point. My discussion was not that you need to shoot targets on any type of competitive level. My point is you need to shoot at various long ranges on a consistant practice level. You need to know where to place your shot leathally when the time comes you are wanting to make the long range shot of 400 to 1000 yards. Obviously, you can't shoot at large game all day long to aquire the proficiency it takes to make a shot in the vitals of a elk or deer at those ranges when the time comes. You could practice on chucks, if you were to use the rifle that you hunt large game with. As far as what the brain inflicts while trying to shoot an elk or deer on some hunters (buck fever), that is a different control issue.

Last edited by Gone Ballistic; 05-29-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone Ballistic View Post
You totally missed my point. My discussion was not that you need to shoot targets on any type of competitive level. My point is you need to shoot at various long ranges on a consistant practice level. You need to know where to place your shot leathally when the time comes you are wanting to make the long range shot of 400 to 1000 yards. Obviously, you can't shoot at large game all day long to aquire the proficiency it takes to make a shot in the vitals of a elk or deer at those ranges when the time comes. You could practice on chucks, if you were to use the rifle that you hunt large game with. As far as what the brain inflicts while trying to shoot an elk or deer on some hunters (buck fever), that is a different control issue.

OK again. I know you probably meant well, but I did not totally miss your point. I have been shooting for fifty years, and have probably shot 50,000 or more rounds at varmints. I have also shot a few dozen deer, two elk, and a pronghorn.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:56 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecrea View Post
OK again. I know you probably meant well, but I did not totally miss your point. I have been shooting for fifty years, and have probably shot 50,000 or more rounds at varmints. I have also shot a few dozen deer, two elk, and a pronghorn.
I'm sorry. I thought you were interested in learning how to shoot at long ranges. Just having someone spot your hits at longer ranges so you can walk your shots in to the target takes a lot of extra ammo. It usually doesn't work for shooting large game like it might on ground squirrels and chucks.They don't stand around very long after you pop the cap on a round. Wouldn't it be more exciting to be learn how to be able to cut a round loose and connect on the first shot at 500 or 600+ yards? If you learned how to be efficient at doing that repetitively, you might have only had to shoot 20K rounds making one shot hits.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:01 AM

OK again. Just a few years ago I made a one-shot kill on a moving elk at a lazered 525 yards.

But, perhaps that does not count in your book.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:01 AM
Silver Member

Hey Fish, hows the weather down in Twin????
If we can put together a shoot I will have a new toy to bring, I finally found someone that wanted a 300RUM to trade. Looks like I will be bringing a 280 Ackley Improved. I have not go it yet as I am having a couple things done to it before its sent to me, but that gives me time to find more load data for it. I think I will enjoy shooting it more then the sendero. My daughter and her boyfriend down there just bought a boat so they are wanting us to come down and go fishing with them, not sure where they plan on going?????
was kinda thinkin about trying to catch some walleye down there in Salmon falls Res. You got any honey holes down there?????
Talk to you soon and hope your doing well.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:07 PM
Silver Member

One more from ID - Treasure Valley.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:05 PM
Platinum Member

Do any of you guys have any info (positive or negative) about Broadmouth Canyon Elk Outfitters in Idaho? I'm considering a 2012 hunt.