Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Regional Forums > West

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Idahoans sound off.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 12:28 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Idahoans sound off.

Hi Clear-Cut,

It good to see more Idahoans sounding off in this forum.

How is everything going up North?
Old 05-09-2011, 01:22 AM

Not to bad now that spring bear season has arrived. wish the snow would melt faster
Old 05-12-2011, 11:59 PM
Bronze Member

One more from the Clearwater region
Old 05-13-2011, 11:16 AM
Silver Member

Vandal,
Do you know anyone up there that wants to sell 20-60 acres? I am looking to buy some property to build a new home on and I haven't had very good experiences with the realtors up there keeping me informed. Would prefer to buy direct and save them the realestate commission and listing fee.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:36 AM

Well, I make one. I live near Boise, Idaho. I punch very little paper, but I am interested in long range big game hunting, varmint shooting, and the like. I do a lot of rockchucks, jacks, and ground squirrels.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:44 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecrea View Post
Well, I make one. I live near Boise, Idaho. I punch very little paper, but I am interested in long range big game hunting, varmint shooting, and the like. I do a lot of rockchucks, jacks, and ground squirrels.
Well, if you want to be a proficient long range hunter you have to practice shooting long range targets. Shooting AR steel plate targets are best in my book, but anything you can place out range up to 1000 yards and be able to see where you're hitting from where you're shooting is fine. Just popping a round out at an animal like a chuck once in awhile doesn't build any consistency with your shooting. Learning how to dope wind, shoot up and down terrain, etc takes a lot of practice to build confidence in shooting and killing an animal at long range. It isn't fair to the animal to pop a long range shot at it and risk not killing it with a lethal shot. It takes practice and the best way to practice is to shoot at paper, milk jugs full of water, balloons or steel stationary targets until you become proficient time and time again.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:23 PM

Well, of course.

However, I would point out that punching paper and shooting at live targets with a brain are two very different endeavors. I have hunted with a lot of paper punchers, and while many of them are quite good at that, when it comes to live game, all of a sudden, they can't pull the trigger, and when they finally do, the target has died of old age!