Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Regional Forums > West

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Idaho muzzleloader rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2013, 12:57 PM
Platinum Member

Idaho muzzleloader rifle

New to Idaho and muzzleloader hunting want some information for the best muzzleloader to use in Idaho, any information will be helpfull.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:53 PM
Silver Member

Re: Idaho muzzleloader rifle

Muzzleloading in Idaho is still traditional. Must have open sights and exposed breech plug. Some of the new inlines are okay as long as when your cocked and locked the cap is exposed. I personally shoot a TC hawken in 54 cal and a TC firehawk inline in 54 cal. Sabots are prohibited.This applies to muzzleloader only hunts, I believe on the short range weapons hunts you can use a scoped inline of newer production.

The 2nd Amendment......America's original Homeland Security.

Ethan Parke........roped the deer in 1953. Put tags in his ears turned him loose then shot him in 1955. Always liked this pic
The story was told to me by his wife who owned the little motel we stayed at on a deer hunt in Malta Idaho about 17 years ago...... Youll never see that again. Just a cool pic of Idaho deer huntin history
Old 12-29-2013, 05:16 PM
Gold Member

I use a couple Remington 700ml .50 cal. muzzleloaders. I've taken elk out to 208yds with numerous in the high 100yd range. You need one with a #11 percussion cap nipple but all that is need to change a 209 primer version to #11 is the nipple. Both of mine are sub 1 1/2" @ 100yd guns.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:04 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the information, looking at Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken Rifle in 54 cal. Any thought on this rifle.

Last edited by WyoElk2Hunt; 12-29-2013 at 06:07 PM. Reason: added word
Old 12-29-2013, 06:38 PM
Gold Member

Is there a reason to choose a traditional over a in-line? I've killed quite a few animals with my Renegade but I haven't hardly shot it since buying a in-line.

I wouldn't choose a .54 over a .50. There are double the bullet options for a .50. I've never seen a elk that knew the difference in the two anyway.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:48 PM
Platinum Member

Wasn't sure you could use an inline in Idaho and like the looks of traditional. Have never shot black powder as in Wyoming it didn't give you any advantage to use black powder.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:49 AM
Silver Member

No reason you have to use a traditional style sidelock smoke pole, but if you use a inline the cap has to be exposed to the elements when your cocked and locked. I choose 54 cuz thats what I like but your right a 50 is just fine and I believe the minimum caliber you can shoot for elk..... 45 is minimum for deer.

When I said traditional I ment that on muzzleloader only hunts you have to have open sights, scopes are prohibited, sabots are prohibited, your projectile must fit within ten thousandths of the barrel or something like that, most conicals are okay, and of course the old patched round ball is good to go.

I personally shoot the power belts awesome accuracy in my two rifles followed by the TC maxi ball, but they quit makin them in 54 cal. Pellets are prohibited it must be loose powder or black powder substitute. I like triple 7, but pyrodex, or any of the modern substitutes are okay as long as your loading loose powder.

209 primers are prohibited.

There are some awesome muzzleloader only hunts in Idaho if ya can draw em.

The 2nd Amendment......America's original Homeland Security.

Ethan Parke........roped the deer in 1953. Put tags in his ears turned him loose then shot him in 1955. Always liked this pic
The story was told to me by his wife who owned the little motel we stayed at on a deer hunt in Malta Idaho about 17 years ago...... Youll never see that again. Just a cool pic of Idaho deer huntin history