Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Regional Forums > West

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Hunting In California??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 11:10 AM

Re: Hunting In California??

If you are only interested in big game hunting then California is not the place to go. Upland game bird hunting seems to be the normal in California since it is so hard to get picked for a BG tag. There are a lot of duck and pheasant clubs in California if your into that sort of thing. In the Owens Valley (Lone Pine, Big Pine, Independence and Bishop cites) the land there is owned by the Department of Water and Power in Los Angeles. You can hunt quail and dove in that area and an occasional Chuckar (Red Legged Partridge). Chuckers are normally found further south near the town of China lake (Highway 395 south of Lone Pine).

I now live in New Mexico and since you do have until 2015 to before your trip, check out the department of game and fish for NM. (NMDGF). A non-resident of NM has a better chance at getting picked for Bull Elk than a resident. Units 52, 16A and 16B are nice. The only problem with NM is that the Land Owner has the right to land lock you out of the BLM area. Of course once in a lifetime Oryx Hunts on a base are nice too. But I am sure you have been to Africa to hunt already.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevzzzNM View Post
If you are only interested in big game hunting then California is not the place to go. Upland game bird hunting seems to be the normal in California since it is so hard to get picked for a BG tag. There are a lot of duck and pheasant clubs in California if your into that sort of thing. In the Owens Valley (Lone Pine, Big Pine, Independence and Bishop cites) the land there is owned by the Department of Water and Power in Los Angeles. You can hunt quail and dove in that area and an occasional Chuckar (Red Legged Partridge). Chuckers are normally found further south near the town of China lake (Highway 395 south of Lone Pine).

I now live in New Mexico and since you do have until 2015 to before your trip, check out the department of game and fish for NM. (NMDGF). A non-resident of NM has a better chance at getting picked for Bull Elk than a resident. Units 52, 16A and 16B are nice. The only problem with NM is that the Land Owner has the right to land lock you out of the BLM area. Of course once in a lifetime Oryx Hunts on a base are nice too. But I am sure you have been to Africa to hunt already.
Thanks for the info. yea california doesnt sound all that good. Im not really keen on upland birds. I will look into NM thanks for that. I was mainly keen on whitetail,muleys or elk. we can shoot them here in NZ on public land but its not the same as the real thing in America haha. I have not been to africa and its pretty far down on my list. The Oryx are on public land???
Thanks
Old 09-12-2013, 03:44 PM

The "Once in a Lifetime" Oryx hunts are on the White Sands Missile Range. There are also Oryx hunts that are called "Off-Range" but the odds of getting one off-range are slim. Once in a Lifetime hunts are 3 days long and much easier for someone out of state or out of country to be able to get a shot at these magnificent animals. The off-range hunts are a month long and can hunt anywhere in the state as long as it is not on a base. I have drawn for a Once in a lifetime hunt already, I also have been drawn for a McGreggor Range Hunt. This month I am doing an off-range hunt. I have seen most of the Oryx off-range. Hopefully this weekend I will tag out... Great tasting animals.

Check it out and good luck. If I can be any help my email address is kevzzz@rocketmail.com
Old 10-28-2013, 05:56 PM
Bronze Member

If the trip is still on I may be able to hook you up for a pig hunt, maybe some quail. November is a little late for the A zone deer hunt where we hunt and I think it is too late for any deer hunt in Ca.