Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Regional Forums > West

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Hunting In California??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 03:52 AM
Silver Member

Hunting In California??

Hi guys
Im heading to the US in November 2015( I know its a long while off) for my mates wedding. I noticed this is during/near the hunting season over there??
Im from New Zealand where we have no seasons/tags/limits so I struggle abit with the systems over in the US.
Can some one tell me is it possible to hunt with-out a guide in california??
I would love to get out after anything really haha but dont know much. I am currently trying to read the CA hunting and fishing website but theres like a million pages.
Is there public land where you can just buy a tag and licence and walk in and go hunting???? For a non-US citizen?
Any info would be alot of help.
Thanks
Old 09-02-2013, 10:59 AM
Silver Member

Re: Hunting In California??

No guide requirement here in california.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:23 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble View Post
No guide requirement here in california.
Thanks. So a non-resident like me can buy tags over the counter? or is it a draw type system?
Old 09-02-2013, 10:12 PM
Silver Member

It is both. All zones have a maximum amount of available tags, but some are draw only. The draw only take anywhere from 2-15+ years to get depending on the zone. if you have people you are planning on hunting with, I would suggest talking with them to see what zone you are planning on hunting in. CA DFG has done a very good job with statistics on what zones take what amount of points to get. Go to their website and take a look around. In California, we have done zones that will stand up to most zones anywhere else, but they take years to get.

X5a, X5b especially. there are other hunts that are just as awesome. but Californians call it a hunt of a life time.

I apologize for the poor grammer and punctuation but my phone doesn't work well here.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble View Post
It is both. All zones have a maximum amount of available tags, but some are draw only. The draw only take anywhere from 2-15+ years to get depending on the zone. if you have people you are planning on hunting with, I would suggest talking with them to see what zone you are planning on hunting in. CA DFG has done a very good job with statistics on what zones take what amount of points to get. Go to their website and take a look around. In California, we have done zones that will stand up to most zones anywhere else, but they take years to get.

X5a, X5b especially. there are other hunts that are just as awesome. but Californians call it a hunt of a life time.

I apologize for the poor grammer and punctuation but my phone doesn't work well here.
Thanks alot for the info. I dont know anyone who hunts there. id just be happy to get out and about and see some animals over there if I cant hunt. does a non-citizen need to pass a licence test or something? I have a NZ firearms licence as thats all we need here.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:38 AM
Silver Member

Hunters safety certification will be required. I would go to Oregon if I were you considering the cost of hunting here andthe lack of good zones that are available. I generally hunt out of state.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:09 AM
Silver Member

ok thanks again for the info. Ive got abit of time up my sleeve to think it over. Just I thought if Im going to fly all the way to the US I might as well hunt something while Im there haha.