Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Regional Forums > West

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Hornady SST Explodes on Javelina?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2011, 01:22 AM

Re: Hornady SST Explodes on Javelina?

I am going to eat it for sure. Yes, I've heard that many people don't. I'm a pretty good cook though and I will make it work.

I stripped ALL the silver skin, fat and tendons off the meat on the day I shot it. After thawing it out I will do a 4-day sea salt water brine, switching the brine every day.

Then I'll marinade it.

Some of the first dishes will be a javelina korma (Indian food) and some pulled-javelina green chile.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:32 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjunge View Post
211 yards
I have used the SST from a 300 WSM at 3025 fps muzzle velocity and it seems to come apart at the ranges of 150 yards or less . I had no exit wounds on the hogs and deer I shot with it at these close ranges. If the ranges extended beyond 150 they held together better and would exit. The SST is not a bonded bullet and will disintegrate with the higher velocities.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjunge View Post
pulled-javelina green chile.
Recipe for 2 lbs. of Javelina:

Game taste removal:
In the refrigerator soak the meat in a salt water brine for 1 day. Drain. Soak the meat in a sugar water brine for 1 day. Drain. Soak the meat in a salt water brine for another day. Drain. At this point the water no longer turns red, just light pink.

Marinade javelina for a day in:
Soy sauce, sugar, molasses, vinegar, a little water, chopped garlic, 5 drops of liquid smoke, cumin powder.

Add javelina and marinade to crock pot. Add some water to cover the meat. Cook on low for 10 hours. Take meat out. Take 3/4 of the remaining juice out, leaving 1/4 in the crock pot. You don't want it to be too sugary/salty/spicey. Add this in later to taste for more flavor.

On the grill fire-roast 2 large poblanos, 3 anchos, (jalepeños if you want... I was not going too hot. I also de-seeded the peppers). Let cool. Peel the black skin off. Chop into bite sized pieces.

Dice a yellow onion. Sauté it in oil on the stove. Pre-Mix a little water and arrowroot (or flour) and mix it in while on the heat to make a thick sauce.

Pull the large pieces of javelina apart with a fork making bite sized pieces.

Add to the crock pot: the javelina, the onion mixture, 12 ounces pureed tomatillos (I went with the canned version because the ones in the store looked terrible), the chopped peppers, chopped cilantro to taste, a little bit of chicken bullion and some water.

Stir and cook in crock pot until heated thoroughly.

It's really good!