Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Regional Forums > West

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Hornady SST Explodes on Javelina?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2011, 04:55 AM

Hornady SST Explodes on Javelina?

I went on my first hunting trip last week and shot a Javelina in Arizona. Overall it was a great experience. I was using Hornady 300 WM 180gr SST bullets. My shot hit bone directly going in. It produced a great exit wound but left fragments of lead all over the meat.

Is this normal?

I found at least 25 pieces of small (about 1/8") little lead pancakes scattered though the meat. I even found a part of the red plastic ballistic tip, which was surprising.

I thought the bullet was supposed to mushroom and come out in roughly one piece. Am I mistaken?
Old 02-26-2011, 07:37 AM
Silver Member

Re: Hornady SST Explodes on Javelina?

How far was the shot?
Old 02-26-2011, 08:44 PM

211 yards
Old 02-26-2011, 10:44 PM
Silver Member

I think you are thinking of the Interbond. It is a bonded bullet but it will shed some lead also on the way through a critter. Yep, it is common to find lead fragments throughout the carcass, depending on what it contacted. The only way to get around the lead is to use Barnes or other all copper bullets.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:43 PM
Platinum Member

I have never used that particular bullet on an animal. I have shot a bunch of stuff with the 162 SST and punched a bunch of paper with the A-maxs. The SST is supposed to have a mechanical lock from the cannalure. I have shot deer with the 162SST only rarely, but recall two off the top of my head, both were actually killed at short range. One whitetail doe at 185ish and a buck at 110 yards. The doe was shot through both shoulders with a quarter sized exit. The buck expired within 20 yards and left a great blood trail, but no exit. There was a lot of shrapnel in the buck, but not actually in the meat. All of the shrapnel came out with the contents of the chest cavity. I have never had a berger or horandy leave a lot of meat damage so long as your shooting lungs.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:55 PM

Makes sense. Thanks.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:42 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjunge View Post
I went on my first hunting trip last week and shot a Javelina in Arizona. Overall it was a great experience. I was using Hornady 300 WM 180gr SST bullets. My shot hit bone directly going in. It produced a great exit wound but left fragments of lead all over the meat.

Is this normal?

I found at least 25 pieces of small (about 1/8") little lead pancakes scattered though the meat. I even found a part of the red plastic ballistic tip, which was surprising.

I thought the bullet was supposed to mushroom and come out in roughly one piece. Am I mistaken?
Ivanjunge, are you using the meat for anything? We shot javelina in Texas, and for three days coyotes not even the buzzards would touch it. Were you just caping it out to mount? Cuz I didn't know anyone to eat them.