Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Regional Forums > West

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Eastern Washington long range elk?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2009, 02:22 PM

Eastern Washington long range elk?

Hi everybody! I'm new to long-range hunting and this forum as well. I'm in the process of acquiring a long range hunting rifle (a custom .300WM), and am excited for next hunting season as I doubt I will have the time to get set up for this season. I was thinking of going after the Hanford elk herd (well, one of the members of it) next fall. I know this is a fairly open area and there is supposed to be a few elk there. Does anybody have some wisdom they would be willing to share regarding this region?

I'm not new to hunting (I went bow hunting with my dad as a kid), but am new to rifle hunting. I appreciate your help getting started!

Happy Hunting.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:30 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Eastern Washington long range elk?

Welcome aboard!

300 WM ought to be just the ticket for the area you are considering.

Having said that, I know nothing about the area except that I think its wide open high desert?

remington25-06 here, should know something about that area.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:30 AM
Bronze Member

It is open terrain. Wheat fields, CRP fields and sage brush. Mostly private ground around Handford with some small State ground to hunt on. There is a waiting list on private ground with normally a pricey tresspassing fee. Which lights my fuse because these land owners gets money from the Game Department for crop damage. There is one property owner next to state ground would charge $1500.00 to $2000.00 to bull hunt and $600.00 for a cow hunt. He was paid by our Goverment for the CRP program and complained to the Game Department to get crop damaged and then charged hunters to elk hunt on his ground. Makes no sense to me. He got caught one year chasing elk off State ground onto his ground using horses. They just slapped his hand and said that he could not do it. There is some youth permits that is given out each year and they are put on the list and a game Worden meets up with them and takes them onto the private ground for the day and helps the youth with their elk hunt and uses their pickup to get the animal off the land owners ground which I think is fantastic.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:06 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700xcr View Post
It is open terrain. Wheat fields, CRP fields and sage brush. Mostly private ground around Handford with some small State ground to hunt on. There is a waiting list on private ground with normally a pricey tresspassing fee. Which lights my fuse because these land owners gets money from the Game Department for crop damage. There is one property owner next to state ground would charge $1500.00 to $2000.00 to bull hunt and $600.00 for a cow hunt. He was paid by our Goverment for the CRP program and complained to the Game Department to get crop damaged and then charged hunters to elk hunt on his ground. Makes no sense to me. He got caught one year chasing elk off State ground onto his ground using horses. They just slapped his hand and said that he could not do it. There is some youth permits that is given out each year and they are put on the list and a game Worden meets up with them and takes them onto the private ground for the day and helps the youth with their elk hunt and uses their pickup to get the animal off the land owners ground which I think is fantastic.

thats cool that they help the kids to get a bit of a headstart like that.oregon would probably charge the kids for the help
Old 01-09-2013, 01:46 PM

Longe range will be a relative certainty there, be ready for stiff wind in the area.