Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Regional Forums > West

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Big Horn Mountains

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 10:02 AM
Silver Member

Big Horn Mountains

I was invited out to the Big Horn Mountains in WY by my wifes family and I was just looking for some input on what to hunt... what tags are easy to get, what is species are decent sized? Thank you
Old 01-03-2013, 10:44 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Big Horn Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmymic View Post
I was invited out to the Big Horn Mountains in WY by my wifes family and I was just looking for some input on what to hunt... what tags are easy to get, what is species are decent sized? Thank you
I live at the foot of the big horns, you basically have s things to choose from elk and deer. You wont draw elk without several points more than likely. id say ur best bet is trying to get a general deer tag. There arent a ton of deer up there but they are there. Trophy quality isnt all that high although there are a few good ones up there.

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 01-03-2013, 11:28 AM
Silver Member

Anything for antelope? Or I was really hopen for moose!
Old 01-03-2013, 11:39 AM
Platinum Member

You have a better chance of getting hit by lightning than drawing a moose tag... not many antelope on the mountain...

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 01-03-2013, 12:19 PM
Silver Member

Moose is one of the premier species in the Bighorns. Used to be a lot in the Jackson area prior to the wolves. Very few now. Some of the best in the state are in the Bighorns. I have 16 pref points [1/yr applied] and still haven't drawn there. Using the Wy Game and Fish web site it shows that area 1 had 198 aps for 1 tag. None for area 34 or 42 for a bull. Interestingly there was 1 tag for a cow moose in 34 for a non-resident. No applicants. That could be one you could draw. That is a cow without a calf at side. Go to the WY game and fish web site. Hunting section. Draw demand index. Then you can look at the different areas and see how many tags there are and how many applied for them. Interesting how many apply for an area that has no tag available.... Good luck. Bruce
Old 01-03-2013, 01:25 PM
Silver Member

Soooo from what I am reading my best chance is going to be mulies???
Old 01-03-2013, 01:34 PM
Platinum Member

Might be a good idea to actually talk to the inlaws
With a little inside help filling a goat or mulie tag wouldnt be all that hard....Filling it with a dandy is a whole different story.