Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Regional Forums > West

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Best places in CA to hunt yotes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2010, 03:26 PM
Bronze Member

Best places in CA to hunt yotes

Hey everyone,

Wondering if anyone knows the best places to hunt coyote in california. I just moved here about a month ago. Thanks!

Jerry,
Old 09-20-2010, 02:24 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Best places in CA to hunt yotes

Depending on wether you are in Northern, Central, or Southern California I'm sure. I'm in Northern California and there are plenty of places that a hunter can peruse coyotes. The Mendocino Nat. Forest is a good start, get a map of it online or at an REI store. Theres plenty of them out there so I don't believe there is a better than other spot. Another angle is to make contact with local ranchers in your area, especially sheep ranchers. If you approach them in a mature and respectable way and represent yourself as a responsible hunter a few good doors could open for you. I have done this several times and have had great success. Good luck and if you have any further questions, fire away

Ranger Jim
Old 09-20-2010, 03:47 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Jim View Post
Depending on wether you are in Northern, Central, or Southern California I'm sure. I'm in Northern California and there are plenty of places that a hunter can peruse coyotes. The Mendocino Nat. Forest is a good start, get a map of it online or at an REI store. Theres plenty of them out there so I don't believe there is a better than other spot. Another angle is to make contact with local ranchers in your area, especially sheep ranchers. If you approach them in a mature and respectable way and represent yourself as a responsible hunter a few good doors could open for you. I have done this several times and have had great success. Good luck and if you have any further questions, fire away

Ranger Jim
Hey Ranger Jim,

Thanks very much for your help. I live in the berkeley hills out near SF, so I'm in northern california as well. I'll have to go out into the forest and take a look. As I said I'm a bit new to hunting coyote, but always wanted to. I'm from PA originally and pretty much stuck to small game and deer. Anyway, I was also thinking about checking some of the more inland places for them as well such as around say- Antelope Valley WA. Think this is worth checking into as well? Thanks again for your help!

Jerry,
Old 09-23-2010, 10:24 PM
Silver Member

I have access to some ranches littered with yotes in the east bay if you have something to trade possibly
Old 09-23-2010, 10:32 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VjjR View Post
I have access to some ranches littered with yotes in the east bay if you have something to trade possibly
Really? I wasn't aware that people had ranches in the east bay area? Sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean by trade? I'm very new to the area "only a few months."
Old 09-25-2010, 10:58 PM

not meaning to thread jack but instead of making a whole new post, I live in so cal and was wondering if anyone on here knew of any places to start out for coyotes
Old 09-26-2010, 11:23 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMang89 View Post
not meaning to thread jack but instead of making a whole new post, I live in so cal and was wondering if anyone on here knew of any places to start out for coyotes
ehh...it's alright..after all I did say CA not northern california...really you're in better shape than I am though..you have the desert right there....I plan on making some trips south to the desert just to get the change of location...have you hunted up here at all?