Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Regional Forums > Northeast

Northeast ME, NH, VT, CT, RI, MA, NY, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ


Reply

deer census

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 12-10-2013, 01:15 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: new jersey
Posts: 166
Re: deer census

My thoughts are that the 3or 4 pt. rules suck!In astate that has that many hunters(was 1mil.) how can you say to a kid you can.t shoot cause its not big enough! Know wonder hunting is falling off its following. A spike is a trophy to an y newcomer or longtime hunter if you consume it. Waiting for a multi point deer may never come. Why did hunters go to P.A.?High deer numbers to start with. Theirs always the ones that made a few seasons to hope for.Its the northeastern U.S and the coyote &habitat are eating them up. If you want a sizable rack YOU pass but loss of herd seems to be at stake and interest in the hunting!Its not TEXAS!!
__________________
dcaribouski
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-10-2013, 02:51 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: S.E. Michigan
Posts: 3,464
Re: deer census

Did my part yesterday evening to reduce the population a bit. Was driving one of our Michigan Specials (big truck with an even bigger.stouter bumper) and in NW Ohio on Route 6, I had 10 or so cross right in front of me, all nice does. I nailed 6 right away and one got up under the trailer. I missed the rest (left some for the hunters...lol

Had to take the unit to the Blue Beacon, was hair and guts and blood all over. Didn't hurt the truck at all.

I had another truck behind me. I bet the driver thought I was running a deer blender.
__________________
'It's not about me, it's about we'..........
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-17-2013, 10:36 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 34
Re: deer census

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dskiper View Post
Please tell me its my age. I hunted 2 days in Pike County P.A and saw 1 deer and 1 big bear. Whats happened.Few shots on openingday! Deer sign was not there either. Acorns on the ground,no droppings,howling in the dark sounds like coyotes are in control.Game law book says 30,000 premits out. Hunters YOU are in trouble!! Iv'e not hunted P.A in 2 yrs. but my buddy says this I the way it is for quite a while. SAD,SAD,SAD !!!!!
I am originally from PA. Spent most of my deer seasons in the Hammersley Wilderness Area of Kettle Creek. Used to love still hunting in the big woods after the first three days. That was until the PGC put their point restrictions in place. There was no need for Gary Alt's divine intervention in the management of the Northern Tier deer herd. Mother Nature was regulating the population just fine. You Pennsylvanians owe it to yourselves to visit the Allegheny Co. Sportsmans League website and read about John Eveland.
Is the Deer Audit a Con
Attached Files PA_3-DeerMismanagementAnalysis[1].pdf (128.8 KB, 0 views)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-17-2013, 02:32 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: SW Pa.
Posts: 90
Re: deer census

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dskiper View Post
My thoughts are that the 3or 4 pt. rules suck!In astate that has that many hunters(was 1mil.) how can you say to a kid you can.t shoot cause its not big enough! Know wonder hunting is falling off its following. A spike is a trophy to an y newcomer or longtime hunter if you consume it. Waiting for a multi point deer may never come. Why did hunters go to P.A.?High deer numbers to start with. Theirs always the ones that made a few seasons to hope for.Its the northeastern U.S and the coyote &habitat are eating them up. If you want a sizable rack YOU pass but loss of herd seems to be at stake and interest in the hunting!Its not TEXAS!!
Kids Are Allowed To Shoot Any Buck And If Your Story Is To Be A Meat Hunter, Shoot A Doe. They Taste Better anyhow. I Don't Agree With Point Restrictions Either But I Do Like To Hunt Big Deer.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-17-2013, 09:33 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 34
Re: deer census

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwall3d11 View Post
Kids Are Allowed To Shoot Any Buck And If Your Story Is To Be A Meat Hunter, Shoot A Doe. They Taste Better anyhow. I Don't Agree With Point Restrictions Either But I Do Like To Hunt Big Deer.
jwall, you are either missing the point or ignoring it. There are and always have been trophy class deer in PA for hunters with the skills to bring them to bag. I don't remember the PA deer hunters complaining about the quality of the herd when the PGC decided to put their agenda into play. That agenda was never about the deer herd or the hunters. If you'll take the time to read the information my previous post, you'll realize that the PA deer hunters AND the herd are just victims of the PGC and people with commercial agendas.
It was amazing to me, that several years into the PGC's deer management program they announce that black bear cause a significant attrition in the fawn crop. HELLO! Our world class biologist, GARY ALT, was the lead biologist for the black bear study. He is also the architect of the destruction of deer herd.

What am I missing here? .or. do you work for the PGC?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-18-2013, 09:54 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: east central fl. /n.c. pa.
Posts: 658
Re: deer census

it would be difficult to please everybody for sure.
this was my 66th year hunting the north central region.
untill the mid fiftys we had a camp in what is now the quehanna wilderness area. our present camp adjoins that area.
hunters here have been complaining about deer herd reduction for at least
25 years. there is no doubt the pgc has had a long range plan for this area
for decades. that plan revolves around the elk herd. there are far more elk here than the pgc will admitt to. they have produced large food plots thru
out the region here for the elk. something they refused to do years back.
part of the problem also is the legnth of the seasons or the ammount of them.
archery hunters have about a 6 week season which for the most part takes place before the rut. now theres cross bows which have increased the number
of archery hunters considerably. lets be perfectly honest here. how many hunters fill a tag with a bow and put it back on a rifle killed buck? i can tell you there are lots of them. could the pgc control that? you bet they could but they choose not to. and hunters choose not to also. one deer and your done was
the rule when i started and there were lots of deer.
as for the antler restrictions i personaly like them as there seems little doubt
rack sizes have improved. you want meat shoot a doe and go home.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-18-2013, 04:13 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: SW Pa.
Posts: 90
Re: deer census

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinhorseman View Post
jwall, you are either missing the point or ignoring it. There are and always have been trophy class deer in PA for hunters with the skills to bring them to bag. I don't remember the PA deer hunters complaining about the quality of the herd when the PGC decided to put their agenda into play. That agenda was never about the deer herd or the hunters. If you'll take the time to read the information my previous post, you'll realize that the PA deer hunters AND the herd are just victims of the PGC and people with commercial agendas.
It was amazing to me, that several years into the PGC's deer management program they announce that black bear cause a significant attrition in the fawn crop. HELLO! Our world class biologist, GARY ALT, was the lead biologist for the black bear study. He is also the architect of the destruction of deer herd.

What am I missing here? .or. do you work for the PGC?
Your right, I was missing the point. I'm on target now.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC