Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Regional Forums > Northeast

Northeast ME, NH, VT, CT, RI, MA, NY, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ

deer census

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 11:51 AM
Silver Member

deer census

Please tell me its my age. I hunted 2 days in Pike County P.A and saw 1 deer and 1 big bear. Whats happened.Few shots on openingday! Deer sign was not there either. Acorns on the ground,no droppings,howling in the dark sounds like coyotes are in control.Game law book says 30,000 premits out. Hunters YOU are in trouble!! Iv'e not hunted P.A in 2 yrs. but my buddy says this I the way it is for quite a while. SAD,SAD,SAD !!!!!
Old 12-04-2013, 08:44 PM

Re: deer census

It is your age if you can remember what it was like to see a herd of deer going through the woods!
I fall into that category.
I haven't heard a coyote call for the first 30 years of my hunting life or seen a tick either, but now both are plentiful.
Guess I am lucky to have been hunting in the golden years of the sport.

As for the quantity of deer, I think it depends on the area you pick to hunt.
Some areas around my hunting spots are posted because they don't want hunters on their property for whatever reason. Their neighboring farmers, on the other hand issue red tags to get the deer off their crops.

So you can still see small herds of deer depending on location, but overall the herd really seems to be thinning out. The area I was hunting on Monday I saw about 20 deer. Three deer together was the most for group size. One was an 8 point I had gotten on my trail camera but he never gave me a clean shot and walked down by me in the safety of the underbrush.

I wish you better luck on your next hunting excursion!
Let us know how you fare.
Pap
Old 12-05-2013, 04:23 PM

I hunted Bradford and Tioga for the past 8 Yrs., Saw a total of 5 deer in rifle and archery. I remember seeing 60 deer one day in Franklin Co. years ago, but that area shot out. Pa. needs to get back the way they used to do deer hunting, 1 buck or 1 doe per season. I've been hunting for 48 yrs. and I think it's just getting worst. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:40 PM
Platinum Member

I hear Pa is nuturing their Elk herds and saying piss on the whitetails.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:08 PM

Personally I'm all for the "one deer per license year" rule, like it use to be in PA. I do like the 3 point on one side rule (4 pts. in some areas), as this has indeed increased the number of big bucks we now see. But based on my talks with other hunters, and limited number of shots we now don't hear, the deer heard in Nort-East PA has been decreased to numbers far less than most people are happy with. If their goal was to totally eliminate deer/auto collisions, I think they are getting close! When I see more black bears than bucks during archery season, I have to wonder what's up?
Old 12-05-2013, 11:38 PM

Probably why licenses dropped from 1 million+ to 775,000 give or take according to the paper. Pennsylvania Game commission is all worried about getting kids into hunting, How do you keep kids interested when you see a couple of deer here and there ??
Old 12-06-2013, 04:55 PM
Bronze Member

You can't have a 1 deer per license year and expect to have a quality deer herd. You have to kill at least as many does as you do bucks or it will end up just like it used to be. I used to see close to 100 deer the first day, and 98 of them were does. That's also how you end up with a deer herd full of 1 1/2 year old bucks. There are a few decent bucks now from the 4 on one side rule but that rule doesn't make BIG deer. The only way Pa. will ever have big deer is if guys start letting younger bucks walk. That's never gonna happen. The only reason I buy a hunting license in Pa is to take my kids, nieces and nephews and to hunt coyotes and bears. I don't think there's a deer around here worth hunting. So every other year I go to Iowa to hunt good bucks. And as I write this I'm a little excited, tomorrow is Iowa's gun opener. Dads supposed to send me some pictures.