Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Regional Forums > Northeast

Northeast ME, NH, VT, CT, RI, MA, NY, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ

Anyone from pa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Silver Member

Re: Anyone from pa

I live in Northeast Phily Brother and i are going to try Potter Co. this year, his daughters step son married a girl whose parents have 100 acers in potter co. with access to 300 more going in a week or two to check things out and touch base.
It's a long way what with the price of gas but should be worth it hope
Old 09-28-2008, 03:32 PM
Silver Member

I live south of Lancaster,Pa, but do most of my deer hunting in southern Chester County. I would occasionally go up to Huntingdon to deer hunt with brother in law and his dad, but havent been there in about 8 or 9 years. Hope to get back up there soon though.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:54 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfhjr62 View Post
I live in Northeast Phily Brother and i are going to try Potter Co. this year, his daughters step son married a girl whose parents have 100 acers in potter co. with access to 300 more going in a week or two to check things out and touch base.
It's a long way what with the price of gas but should be worth it hope[/
you will find the hunting very good. its the gettin part that has gotten very bad. all of the northern countys have had their deer herds reduced drasticly over the last 20 years or so. thank you doe hunting, and the greed of the pa. game commission. i hope you find an area where their are still a few left. you might be better off to stay home and sneak into the airport, or the old byberry hospital property.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:24 PM
Silver Member

A few years ago had a anterless lic. for Philadelphia and Bucks so i could hunt the old Byberry site went to do some scouting for Bow season found an area back there with homeless people living an they didn't seam to happy i was looking around so didn't go back there again.
Now the Byberry site has been cleared and some kind of housing is going up and no hunting signs all over the place.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:47 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfhjr62 View Post
A few years ago had a anterless lic. for Philadelphia and Bucks so i could hunt the old Byberry site went to do some scouting for Bow season found an area back there with homeless people living an they didn't seam to happy i was looking around so didn't go back there again.
Now the Byberry site has been cleared and some kind of housing is going up and no hunting signs all over the place.
my wife lived on southampton rd. just in from the bulyvard, (as her father called it ) he worked at byberry. the place was loaded with game back then. (40 yrs. ago.) you may not remember, but we used to have colorful birds called pheasants. people used to actually hunt for them because they were plentiful. byberry was loaded with them. i lived in trevose as a kid. street rd. was 2 lanes its whole legnth. pheasants were everywhere. as recently as 20 yrs. ago you could ride around potter co. and easily see 100 deer in an evening. now you wont see that many in a month. as you may know, the game commission is being sued over the way theyve mismanaged the deer herd. but all is not lost, fast eddie has spent millions developing a tourism industry for people to go look at the elk. if youve never experienced or witnessed long range hunting in pa. you wont be far from the hub.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:40 PM

I live in apollo and hunt armstrong,westmoreland,allegheny counties for the most part. I will travel for coyotes and bear. I hunt with a win 7mm for distance and cant pass up a good muzzleloader hunt with the inline. I have no problem hunting with others.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:32 PM
Platinum Member

They did, in some managment units, bump the doe hunting to the second week. I think it's a good thing as most of our hunters aren't hunting by then. There's hope our herd will gain numbers!