Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Regional Forums > Northeast

Northeast ME, NH, VT, CT, RI, MA, NY, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ

Anyone from pa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2008, 02:25 PM
Platinum Member

It's no secret rifle season is rough here in pa. I often wonder how Kevin manages to find deer standing still long eough to break a shot off. I'm about 45 minutes north of pittsburgh. We tend to hunt them more like rabbits. Unfortunatly I end up in the dogs position when we jump them. Here's a picture of the fruits of my "doggin" labor. Me to the left, and
my dad to the right. We've been pretty fortunate with the rabbit thing. 2 of the three of us over the last 3 years (when we started hunting this way) have got what I would consider decent bucks. My dad (lucky son of a .....) on the other hand 2 of the last 3 years has got exceptional deer in my opinion. I don't have a pic handy of the one he got the year before. It was a 10 point, also a nice old one.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:51 PM
Bronze Member

Yes, the hunting for deer in pa has gotten out of control. Many people, not all, have a secret spot or a place that no one else is allowed to hunt. There has been many friendships lost and family bickering over DEER hunting. Between the point restrictions and the posted property the whole mystique of deer hunting has went away with the times. Now if you want to hunt groundhogs there is no shortage of places to hunt but the same places wont allow deer hunting because there is a regular crew of guys who hunt there. If i offended anyone that was not my intention and if so i am sorry but this is how hunting deer is in my area.
Ollie
Old 07-18-2008, 09:48 AM
SPONSOR

Yes it is true that the good hunting spots are getting scarce, especially for long range hunters. I put a ton of time into scouting with trail cameras and hoofing it on the mountains we hunt and "finding" long range spots to shoot from and I don't plan on sharing that information I worked so hard to obtain. I only hunt state forrest land here in PA and can say although I've deffinately seen a descend in the deer population I'm deffinately still seeing plenty of deer. The point restriction has done wonders for the size of racks were seeing. In the past 3 years no one from our crew has killed a deer with less than 7 points and a 16" spread. The largest was last year with a 11 point and a 23" spread, all taken on state forrest. Of course most of our spots you must pack in a couple of miles, the road spots are taken up by the "easy" hunters but there usually isn't many deer there because of it's easy access. The shooting can consist from 500 yards in some spots to out over a mile in others. You need to carry enough gun for all the occasions. The deer are here they're just back in the dense woods further. You need to learn to adapt to the deer movement. It's not like it was 20 years ago. I hunt with about 3-4 guys and we pack in over 300 lbs. of equipment just to hunt. You must be a very close friend to come along and hunt some of my "secret" spots.

www.mcrifles.com
Old 07-18-2008, 12:47 PM
Gold Member

In the package

Kevin,
So a hunting trip don't come with my gun build??? Thats it unthread my barrel...untrue my action and put my model 7 back together I thought it was in the package!! LMOA
Old 07-19-2008, 06:17 PM
Silver Member

PA

Hey im from altoona area . im not trying to steal peoples hunting spots? WTF ? i was just b/s ing with everyone asking where evryone hunts and thinking maybe someone would happen to live around here thats all
Old 07-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Platinum Member

I used to be from PA, many years ago. The first day of deer season was always like a war. Gun shots everywhere and you knew they weren't all shooting at deer Now I'm in MT
Old 07-22-2008, 12:39 PM
Bronze Member

MT? Where abouts? And where did you live in PA? I know what your talking about as far as the war thing goes. It used to sound even worse in our area years ago when very little property was posted and everyone gang hunted. That has all but died out in this area now. Everyone still has their group of 3-6 hunters but nothing like when it was 12 to the legal limit and then some members to a group.