Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Regional Forums > Midwest

Midwest WI, OH, IL, IN, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE,

worst mich rifle deer season

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2009, 09:15 AM

worst mich rifle deer season

I haven"t seen anything but a button buck, in three days of hunting. Usually I have all my tags filled by the third day. After the first few it would slow down, how much slower can it get. I've decided I'm shooting whatever I see. I shot a squirrel in the head this morning with my 308, lot of squirrels to add up to a deer. I am going to take a box of shells and earplugs with me out in the woods and start killing until the 30th. I'm pissed Is anyone elses season weird
Old 11-18-2009, 05:47 PM
Gold Member

Re: worst mich rifle deer season

Ya our season is weird here this year we have 5 times more deer then normal.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:21 AM

my neighbor 4 or 500yards behind me had his best year ever i think the deer are done chasing and just sitting in one spot and that spot isn't here. i have doe tags and can't even shoot on of those.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc.mich View Post
I haven"t seen anything but a button buck, in three days of hunting. Usually I have all my tags filled by the third day. After the first few it would slow down, how much slower can it get. I've decided I'm shooting whatever I see. I shot a squirrel in the head this morning with my 308, lot of squirrels to add up to a deer. I am going to take a box of shells and earplugs with me out in the woods and start killing until the 30th. I'm pissed Is anyone elses season weird
In Texas most people are having poor results because of a full moon.

The deer are just not moving very much during the day but we are seeing lots
at night(When you can't shoot them). They should start moving soon though
so be patient and save the squirrels for later.

J E CUSTOM
Old 11-21-2009, 09:16 AM

I did notice on my trail cameras the deer were coming through at 11 till 1 at night.I don't know much about deer hunting but that would make sense.So when there is no light at night the deer will start moving during the day?Of course it's still 50 degrees during the day and 40 at night. It hasn't even snowed here yet. Usually it snows by halloween. Thanks for the info though that made the late night trail cam pics make sense. I ate the squirrel though took his head off not much shock in the meat.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:42 PM
Bronze Member

Worst season in about 10 years here in eastern Nebraska too. I decided on the 2nd to last day (saturday) i would shoot a doe. Problem? Never seen a doe. This is a place right along the Platte River where we usually fill about 5 tags opening weekend. I've never been so disappointed after a rifle season.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:38 PM
Silver Member

Don't worry, you're not the only one. Here in Wisconsin, the DNR has effectively destroyed the deer herd. I was able to see 4 deer (all yearlings) in 9 days of gun season. 2 months of bowhunting, I saw maybe a dozen deer. In my area that I hunt, there isn't any public land within about 5 miles. It is all private tracks. Problem is, everyone has been forced to shoot does because of earn-a-buck.

Somehow, 1 1/2 deer per forty is what the dnr is claiming to be a healthy deer herd. Thank god the wolves are moving in too! That should help.

Last edited by jasonprox700; 01-11-2010 at 07:23 PM.