Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Regional Forums > Midwest

Midwest WI, OH, IL, IN, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE,

Who is from Wisconsin!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2009, 02:32 PM

Re: Who is from Wisconsin!

I was just at Gander here in Madison. 2300 CCI 400 small rifle primers sitting in the cabinet. I bought 400(it's all the wife would let me get)2300 left. Let me know if this is something you guys need. Tons of powder too.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:35 PM
Bronze Member

I spoke with Redding technical support and the were super helpful. They recommended that I go with their 'Deluxe' die set. Their reasoning is that I shoot .223 and .308 in both bolt and gas operated rifles. They assured me that I can reload ammo that is superior to any premium or match ammo on the market.

I pulled the trigger today and bought everything I need - except powder, primers and bullets. In addition to Redding dies, I purchased their powder scale, trickle and micrometer trimming lathe. I went with Lyman case care/prep hand tools and lubricants. All this gear is coming from Mid-South. I purchased the Frankford Arsenal tumbler kit (unbelievable low sale price), loading blocks, digital powder scale and cartridge cases. This gear and a Lee Auto Primer was purchased from Midway.

Looks like I'll be able to buy some powder, primers and bullets and not break my budget of $700.00. I saved a ton of money, because of Midway's sale prices for Frankford Arsenal products and going with Deluxe Redding dies rather than Match. This allowed me to plow the saved bucks into higher quality reloading equipment and helpful accessories. In case anyone is wondering, I also invested in reloading manuals. Heck, I even bought the Hornady reloading DVD.

I guess I'll move to the reloading thread. See you there...
Old 08-27-2009, 06:57 PM
Silver Member

Cheddar, I missed this thread for the last couple of days. Got laid off yesterday and now I"m sick, even running a fever. yuck
Glad to hear you have a club to shoot at.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:07 PM

That sucks...How long are you laid off for? Is work drying up in Milw. also?
I went and took the pistol range curse so now I can go there any time I want. I am actualy tempted to trade my Mossy 835 deer/turkey combo for a 20 ga. semi auto for trap and skeet. I don't hunt so the 835 isn't needed.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:15 AM
Silver Member

I will be headed up to Holmen probably Friday nite for a match on Saturday. I'll wave when I go past Madison ;-)
Work is very slow about non existent really. The only ones to hire were at the power plant this year or a few shorter jobs at schools like mine. A few things coming up this fall but there are 152 guys ahead of me on the books.
It looks like I will be doing a lot of coyote hunting this fall/winter ;-))) Glad I got some new snowshoes last year.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:00 PM

That's a great way to look at it...

I have had plenty of time to shoot and fish this summer due to my unemployment.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:27 PM

I'm in Green Bay, Shoot clay targets 3-4 times a week. Prairie dogs get invaded 3 times a season, that's all I can afford.

I have hunted almost all the east and north parts of Wisconsin. I particularly like the Flag River area north of Iron River.

Got a 12 pointer near Dunbar some years ago. Most of our deer now come from land I have in Manitowoc county. This year I might take a couple days North of 64 again, If I find a place to crash.

How 'bout them Packers?

HM