Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Regional Forums > Midwest

Midwest WI, OH, IL, IN, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE,

Who is from Wisconsin!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2008, 01:34 PM
PUBLISHER

Who is from Wisconsin!

I live in Oshkosh and for the past two years have been deer hunting just north of Waupaca. I use a handgun to get around the shotgun county issue. Shot a deer at 501 yards in a shotgun county last year!

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors

Old 03-18-2008, 07:00 AM
Platinum Member

Here in cn Mn the fear of changing to shotgun only is getting stronger. Lots of idiots who don't know how to handle rifles. That is a pretty slick way to stay in the long range hunting gig in a shotgun zone ;)
Old 03-18-2008, 08:00 AM
PUBLISHER

In some states, centerfire handguns don't meet the requirement. You can only hope...

Old 03-18-2008, 11:28 AM
Silver Member

I live near Mauston, WI and hunt just about anywhere, from the coulee country in southern WI to the National Forest in Northeast WI. Lived in CO for three years while active Army and go back fairly regular to hunt elk. Been tinkering with guns for a long time and recently aquired a lathe, milling machine, etc for building accurate rifles.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:29 PM
PUBLISHER

That coulee country reminds me of hunting out west.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:39 PM
Silver Member

Holding down the fort here in SE WI.
I hunt in the Northern Kettle Moraine SF and NE of Antigo where my inlaws live.
I've been out in the Nicolet NF hunting and camping along with handgun silhouette shooting all over the state with a trip to Ohio again this year.

Mike
Old 03-19-2008, 10:54 AM
Silver Member

Len, it certainly can be steep down here. I lived in Fond du Lac in H.S. and have siblings in Oshkosh and FDL.

Yotefever, my parents live in Antigo, and I spent my early years there. My dad and his 'deer buddies' still hunt up in the Nicolet north of Crandon and that's where I hunted for many years. Probably some of my favorite hunting is up there in the big woods. You can still-hunt all day and not cross another hunters track...although after the wolves moved in you're likely not to see many deer tracks either! My biggest buck was a 150" 10-point I rattled in on the second day of gun deer season in the middle of a large cedar swamp (couple miles each way). He didn't even know it was hunting season yet. That's far different than down here where on opening day I'll hear more than a hundred rifleshots before nine!

One of the best hunts down here is winter coyote hunting. There's a lot of them and my favorite time is full-moon and a good snow. I'll spend all night leap-frogging the area down here with a 17 Remington AR and varmint calls. Nighttime is their time and the coyotes don't think twice about running across an open field to the call. We have pretty good luck and more often than not get one or a couple every outing.