Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Regional Forums > Midwest

Midwest WI, OH, IL, IN, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE,

South Dakotans! Where you at?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2009, 08:00 PM

Re: South Dakotans! Where you at?

Huron here, There's a group of us that shoot long range steel whenever we can(100-800), everything from .17 rem to .308. nothing big or organized just a few yahoos that like to bang steel. We're really just in the infancy of the LR game. Starting our first custom builds and trying to get serious about it.

There's a couple local fellas that shoot out at the VHA range and follow the 600-1000 yard br/ fclass game out to denver, but i only know them by reputation.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:48 PM

That sounds cool. wouldnt mind drivin out and joinin up with you boys sometime. Heres my Email sky_cruiser24@hotmail.com
Old 11-06-2009, 09:10 AM
Gold Member

Hey Gents,

I'm out in Sturgis. If you get bored come by the shop sometime.

I've talked with Stephanie from the Buffalo Chip. She's the marketing guru in charge of all things that go bang on the range. My understanding is the fees were initially in the 350 dollar range. They've been reduced to around 160.00/year. I don't think they have a work bond but I'm not sure.

I shot out there a few weeks ago and it's not bad. The enclosed firing points leave a bit to be desired. They put up a good effort but shooting from a bench off a wooden deck is a challenge when other shooters are walking around. Your scope sees every footstep. . . They have a baffle to mitigate ricochets making it back to the firing line. For a guy shooting position the firing line will need to be forward of this as trying to shoot offhand isn't going to work.

The range sees the full brunt of what a Wyoming wind has to offer so it's a great place to hone up your skills.

I talked to her about offering some help with possibly hosting a reduced Palma or 600 yard match. The response I got was quite positive. Just takes someone to get the moving pieces together because she admitted that she just doesn't have much experience with running a match.

So we'll see what happens I guess.

Chad

Last edited by NesikaChad; 11-06-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:38 PM

Pierre South Dakota here! I've finally found some time to post on Len's great site. Come on out and have some fun at the VHA range!

Tony Dorschner
www.varminthunter.org
Old 12-01-2009, 07:07 PM

I'm from Bowdle, but I go to school at SDSMT in RC.

I'm not terribly new to long range shooting, but I don't get to practice much since a 300RUM is kind of spendy to shoot for a college student Because of that, I'm in the market for a 308. Let me know if any of you find a deal on one.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olsonj85 View Post
Newbie here! I'm in S.F. but I've lived in Vermillion, Bryant, Madison, and Artesian. I'm looking to get set up and start working my way out to long ranges.
I don't know if your still active on this site, but I know an Olson from Artesian. She jumped ship and transferred to SDSU about 2 years ago. Any relation?
Old 12-04-2009, 10:21 AM

That would be my little sister. I am actually headed to artesian tonight. Gonna try to bag my 700 yard deer.