Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Regional Forums > Midwest

Midwest WI, OH, IL, IN, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE,

Lets hear it from the Michiganders!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 08:54 AM
Silver Member

Re: Lets hear it from the Michiganders!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canvsbk View Post
Shot around Wall last year, the plague has hit real bad in there. Thinking about the Pierre area maybe in June sometime. Have heard many horror stories about shooting on the reservations out there.
We weren't that far west. We stayed in Wood, SE of the Murdo exit on I90. No horror stories here though. We actually got lucky going that late in the year (July)because the prairie grasses are usually higher that time of year. We did have to pay a little extra for being on a "res" but it wasn't too bad. I still got to believe that there's other places(not hit by the plague) that isn't on a "res", that has a ton of prairie dogs.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:59 AM
Silver Member

Yup, there's plenty of spots not on tribal land. We shot a bunch in Wyoming while out there on an antelope hunt last fall. Wish it wasn't so far to get there.
September can be real good too.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canvsbk View Post
Yup, there's plenty of spots not on tribal land. We shot a bunch in Wyoming while out there on an antelope hunt last fall. Wish it wasn't so far to get there.
September can be real good too.
I hear ya, that's a long way for prairie dogs, not bringing home any meat and all....but damn its fun. We're heading out to WY in Oct. for mullies, and my spring/ early summers are always busy with fishing and all the other activities that go with that time of year. Would like to go out there again for a long wknd but its hard between family obligations, work, and other addictions. Might have to play it by ear and be spontaneous. With a 4 month baby at home it's hard to schedule too much.......at least if I want to keep my wife happy.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:32 PM
Silver Member

What area for mulies? I'm hopeing for area 48 pronghorn and bought an elk cow tag for 10. Another mulie point for me this year though.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:56 PM
Silver Member

Area 30 for mullies. Easy to draw a tag but hard to find hunting ground because its mostly private. Actually there is a lot of public land but its surrounded by private, so it's inaccessible. We hunted the same ranch last fall in area 30 for elk. We went 3 for 4 on bulls. I was the one that didn't shoot at one, but that's not because I couldn't of. We had 3 down, plenty of meat, and was after that ONE. That area takes 3 pts now, even though its mostly private. Western big game hunting is worth the drive. I love it.

Have you hunted antelope in area 48 before?
Old 04-14-2013, 07:04 PM
Silver Member

No I have not but it's close to elk area 10 and the timing is right so we'll see. If I don't draw I'm thinking maybe a left over doe tag or 2. Out there it's all awesome to me.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:19 PM
Silver Member

I hear ya. I love it out there as well. Good talking to you Canvsbk.
Brent