close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > FAQ - Your Hunting/Shooting Answer Is Here

Weather meters and Ballistics software-Palm or PC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
    Unread 06-25-2011, 07:29 PM
    Bronze Member

Re: Weather meters and Ballistics software-Palm or PC

I recently bought Bryan Litz' book "Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting 2nd Edition" and it had the software "Point Mass Ballistics Solver 2.0". I ran the program and tried to print the table. The program says the table was saved to a "printable text file" but NOT to where it was saved. I can't find the file in order to print it. I am running Windows 7. HELP!

Manny

Unread 06-28-2011, 01:02 PM
    Silver Member

I had the same problem and I don"t remember the cure. Contact Bryan and he will have the answer.
    Unread 06-28-2011, 01:14 PM
    Platinum Member

Thanks for posting all those links SS7mm

If there are any other threads similar to this with a group of links, I'd like to subscribe to them too.

Thanks again.

Unread 06-28-2011, 11:21 PM
    Bronze Member

Thanks for your reply Russ. I did contact Bryan and the problem was I did not "cut and paste" the program to my desktop but rather I sent the icon from the program to the desktop. The program will run BUT will not print UNLESS you do the cut and paste method. I did the cut & paste while I had him on the phone and it worked.

One of the drawbacks of the program we discussed is that it will not print the spin drift readouts. The spin drift shows on the program but will not print. He said he is working on a fix for that problem and will provide to all who bought his book (fyi).

Manny
    Unread 06-29-2011, 02:00 PM
    Silver Member

Glad I could help.
    Unread 09-11-2016, 08:07 PM
    Gold Member

Conspicuously missing from the sticky lists of gear is the:
    KESTREL A/B 5700 ELITE -> Combined weathermeter and ballistics calculator

This instrument is THE best for getting the best firing solution. It has Brian Litz's Applied Ballistics software that combines with Kestrel's sensors and software for taking into account such things as:
    1. temperature
    2. wind at your position
    3. altitude/barometric pressure
    4. humidity
    5. coriolis effects (using its built-in compass)
    6. shot angle
    and many other factors.

You need to PRE-program in your ballistics and you'll need accurate muzzle velocity to avoid the "garbage in - garbage out" problems. You can pre-program several rifles and several cartridge loads for each rifle.

Also just before shooting you need to input the distance from your LRF. If you have the new CONX Bluetooth LRF setup (presently only from Bushnell) this will happen automatically IF you have the new Kestrel/AB Bluetooth version to receive it from your LRF. (Soon other LRFs will likely have this new version of Bluetooth communication to the Kestrel.)

Why this amazing Kestrel instrument is missing form the lists is beyond me, especially Brian Litz's APPLIED BALLISTICS software, the very most accurate ballistics tables out there. It is compiled with REAL WORLD experiments, not from mathematical extrapolations, hence its great accuracy.

Eric B.