Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Long Range Hunting Video Library > Miscellaneous LRH Video

Straight Back - Behind the Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2010, 07:41 PM
PUBLISHER

Straight Back - Behind the Rifle

YouTube - Straight Back - Behind the Rifle

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 08-28-2010, 11:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Straight Back - Behind the Rifle

I don't disagree with anything shown or stated on the video.

Its all well and good for the range and where possible in the mountains. Each of my 'hides' allows for convenient straight behind the rifle. Hit consistency is noticeably greater than when I have only a chance to flop down and shoot.

It seems that the bigger the cartridge/cal the greater the importance of being straight behind the rifle.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:40 PM
Gold Member

OK, I'll disagree.

You are not "behind" the rifle when you shoot off hand.

You are not "behind" the rifle when you shoot sitting or kneeling.

Why the change for prone?

Just askin!!
Old 11-25-2010, 07:54 PM
Silver Member

Being straight behind the rifle in prone will help maintain your sight picture. If you're right handed and you lay angled to the left like most do, when the rifle recoils it will end up aiming to the left when it settles.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:47 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpalot View Post
Being straight behind the rifle in prone will help maintain your sight picture. If you're right handed and you lay angled to the left like most do, when the rifle recoils it will end up aiming to the left when it settles.
I am going to continue to be the devils advicate here. On your point, I agree. In 1K BR, during the sighter period, I am trying to find that exact spot,
where the gun returns to the mothball. I usualy need to get more behind the gun to acheve a perfect sight picture.

BUT....since this is true, why not get behind the gun when kneeling, sitting , and off hand?
Old 11-27-2010, 07:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xforfun View Post
I am going to continue to be the devils advicate here. On your point, I agree. In 1K BR, during the sighter period, I am trying to find that exact spot,
where the gun returns to the mothball. I usualy need to get more behind the gun to acheve a perfect sight picture.

BUT....since this is true, why not get behind the gun when kneeling, sitting , and off hand?
You tell me how it would be possible to get straight behind it when sitting, kneeling and standing..

When position shooting, you HAVE to use the skeleton structure to support the gun..With a bipod you do not have to worry about support, just managing recoil. Since shooting pron, and bipod is boiled down to recoil management for quick follow up shots or watching impact, why not be in the preferred position for it..Straight back.

I used to angle slightly, its more comfortable. But when i switched to straight behind, I could start seeing impacts and trace. I also was not fighting to get back on target especially during competitions.

Try shooting 12, 1.5" dots at a 100 yrds. 2 shots per dot..in less than 60 sec! if you do not have good technique (behind the then your going to struggle!

Just my thoughts
Old 11-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Gold Member

Good points all. Like I said, I was just playing the "bad guy". I have never tried this position. I WILL try it in "F" class next year.

Thanks for sharing.