Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Long Range Hunting Video Library > Miscellaneous LRH Video

Muzzle Brake Test - Video

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2010, 02:27 PM
Silver Member

Re: Muzzle Brake Test - Video

Just saw STI commercial last night on the Outdoor channel. I like their stuff and I have an STI frame 1911 but they showed their AR15 firing with a muzzle brake and if was obvious at normal speed that the rifle was shifting sideways as it was fired. If you slow it down you can really see it! That would be a bit frustrating!

Tom
Old 01-28-2010, 03:13 PM
Platinum Member

Nate,

Not only was that revealing it was also a bit intimidating.

I'm shooting a 338 RUM with less MV even with that I'm surprised that I am absorbing that much recoil. No wonder I went to a brake in the first place. Ouch!

Nice video, Great demonstration.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:44 PM
Silver Member

Howdy, to those of who might be wondering about the noise level produced by Nathan's brakes I had him build a rifle for me last year with one of his v port brakes, I've shot the rifle with out hearing protection more than I probably should have. The reason is because the brake is not as loud as brakes normally are. That said, it is loud, but if need be a shot can be fired while hunting without listening to the ringing in your ears for two days. Other brakes I've had I wouldn't dare to fire a round with out ear plugs. And any one around curses you.

The rifle is a 7mm REM mag 168 at 3065, setup its around 14 lbs.
The recoil is minimal, lying prone I can always watch the bullet impact.
This is something I can say took me by suprise. There's nothing like seeing your bullet impact your target

Joe