Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Turkey Hunting

Turkey Hunting Techniques For Turkey Hunting

what call and when for spring turkey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 11:26 AM
Platinum Member

what call and when for spring turkey

I have a spring turkey tag and I am going to go out saterday and see if I can find one. I will be using my 22-250 so calling it in close isnt a concern. I have a foxpro with a few sounds on it. has Tom gobble, lost hen and I think just hen sounds, so just wondering do I want to gobble and try to locate them? or just sit down somewhere and start playing lost hen? any help will be appreciated

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 04-15-2014, 01:13 PM
Silver Member

Re: what call and when for spring turkey

I would check the regulations and see if you can use an electronic call, if you can I would use the regular turkey sounds after you have located your bird.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:24 PM

Re: what call and when for spring turkey

You need four calls to really be successful at calling and locating turkeys.

A box yelper is essential for locating at distance. A good slate is a must too as they are extremely versatile to getting them closer. For dark/dusk have an owl and a crow call to get them gobbling in the tree.

I've gotten a big tom every year since 1995 and here is the best advice I can give you: Put them to bed and wake them up. Find the flock in the evening, follow them until they roost so you know what tree they are in. Be back to the tree at first light and set up around 50 yards away. Call every few minutes and the first they do will be to come to you.

During the heat of the day they rarely gobble but you can get a bored tom to wander in. It's boring and you don't know of it's working, but it does work.