Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Turkey Hunting

Turkey Hunting Techniques For Turkey Hunting

Turkeys with .243?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 05:44 AM

Re: Turkeys with .243?

A buddy of mine in NZ uses .22lr, .22WMR or a .222 for shooting turkeys on his folks farm. (They are considered a pest there).

ATB,

Scrummy
Old 11-29-2013, 07:07 PM
Silver Member

We are not allowed to hunt turkey around here with a rifle, but have heard from someone that has in other states. They like to shoot them though the hips, puts them down quickly and does not ruin the breast.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:32 PM

Here in Pa we can hunt turkeys in the fall season with rifles. I've never seen one walk away from a .223, .22-250, 6mm (fmj), or for the past 6 years or so a .204 w/32gr. V-max. The key is to shoot them behind the wing and in front of the tail. They fold up like a $2.00 suite case. I've also seen several shot with .22WRM and .17HRM. At times they fold, but often with the rim fires they can walk away from a body shot. Head shooting is of course the best way, but the turkeys around here don't seem to want to keep their heads still for long.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:34 PM
Silver Member

WY allows 22 centerfire. I beg to differ with you on the shot placement.

The key is to shoot them behind the wing and in front of the tail. They fold up like a $2.00 suite case. I've also seen several shot with .22WRM and .17HRM. At times they fold, but often with the rim fires they can walk away from a body shot. Head shooting is of course the best way, but the turkeys around here don't seem to want to keep their heads still for long.

I use my varmint rifle, the last two turkeys I dropped were at over 200 yds. Both head shots. The only problem is waiting for the bird too stop bobbing long enough to squeeze your shot. They do.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowinchester View Post
WY allows 22 centerfire. I beg to differ with you on the shot placement.

The key is to shoot them behind the wing and in front of the tail. They fold up like a $2.00 suite case. I've also seen several shot with .22WRM and .17HRM. At times they fold, but often with the rim fires they can walk away from a body shot. Head shooting is of course the best way, but the turkeys around here don't seem to want to keep their heads still for long.

I use my varmint rifle, the last two turkeys I dropped were at over 200 yds. Both head shots. The only problem is waiting for the bird too stop bobbing long enough to squeeze your shot. They do.

I always thought turkey hunting with a rifle was unethical and "cheating" til i popped one at 220 yards behind the eyeball with a 22-250. I love the challenge of the shot. I love the challenge of the HUNT with a shotgun, but i appreciate the SHOT with a rifle. I never shoot for the body though. I shoot for head and neck only.
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 12-27-2013, 08:52 PM
Bronze Member

Wow I guess in Texas it's anything goes lol ya we can't shoot turkey with a rifle in California might take the fun out of it don't you think?
Old 02-25-2014, 05:52 PM
Silver Member

I shot one in texas 150 yard head shot with my 300 win mag sendero.........he died!!