Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Turkey Hunting

Turkey Hunting Techniques For Turkey Hunting

Which turkey call do you use?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 07:03 PM

Re: Which turkey call do you use?

Len, I will come out and teach you how to call the feathers out of a gobbler with a diaphram, for a discount on a strait shooting 7rsaum. LOL
Ya it's fun to carry around a lot of different types of calls, however the tactics is where the game is won or lost. The best wins I personally have ever experienced is after dueling with an old Tom for several days and, when He come in , just tip my hat and we both go our own way, both being winners.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:01 PM
Bronze Member

Len, I like using friction calls. I use my slate alot. Sometimes I mix it up with a glass or aluminum. I used to pick up calls on sale at Midwest Shooters in Lomira in the off season. They all work sometimes. I use my Lohman box call if it's windy and I want more volume. I think it's more your calling stratagy than the actual call. Sometimes I don't call at all or I try calling aggressively, whatever seems to work. When you get confident with a call it works better. I don't mouth calls because I'm too lazy to learn them.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:47 PM
Silver Member

My go to call weather the birds out 500yards or in my face at 20 I turn to my trusty mouth call sure a lot of calls are nice but of the 10-15 calls in my vest it seems I always grab for the mouth call. This year just to shut my friend up I hunted the last weekend with no decoys and only took my mouth call and got myself my 3rd turkey of the season....
Old 05-31-2012, 01:16 PM
Silver Member

I have two custom slates a Reynolds Switchback and a Woodhaven. If hunting with partner these are the cat's meow. when flying solo I always end up with a mouth call. Split v II i believe is the one i frequent the most. I also like a moon cutter but i think they quit making it. The Reynolds by far is ole trusty. If he is gonna gobble that one will get a response.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:19 PM
Silver Member

I use a Blodgett slate call when I can get away with movement, However I hunt with a compound and don't use a blind so when they start getting close I switch to a mouth call.