Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Turkey Hunting

Turkey Hunting Techniques For Turkey Hunting

which shotgun to go with?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 04:29 PM
Silver Member

Re: which shotgun to go with?

Benllie SBE2 promos full choke Winchester 31/2 #5 deadly combo shot several out to 50 yards but like them closer
Old 03-12-2013, 01:51 PM

I patterned or attempted to pattern my recently purchased 870 with 3.5" chamber. What a mistake. I never imagined it would be that bad(recoil). I will just take my bow it don't kick. I should have bought an automatic.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standbanger View Post
I patterned or attempted to pattern my recently purchased 870 with 3.5" chamber. What a mistake. I never imagined it would be that bad(recoil). I will just take my bow it don't kick. I should have bought an automatic.
I'd send the barrel to NuLine Guns and have it backbored. Really makes a difference in recoil, plus they tend to pattern better
gary
Old 03-12-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standbanger View Post
Also you don't need 3.5" shells to kill turkeys just fine. Some 3" loads actually pattern better, depending on gun/choke, and their felt recoil is noticeably much less than 3.5"s. I'd only use 3.5"s for mid to long range waterfowl. They don't kick nearly like the turkey loads due to lower shot weights. You might also check out Hevi-shot 2 3/4" loads. Some people are getting great patterns with them and with far less recoil. ...But even most 20 gauge turkey loads (with 1/2 the recoil of 3" 12 GA) kick a little harder than your average .300 WM rifle round, especially considering the 20's are usually lighter weight guns.

I still love my 870's! They're lighter to carry, especially on mountain turkey hunts where I easily walk and climb 10-12 miles some days. I've never felt any recoil when I've shot a turkey. I usually don't even recall hearing my own shot... LOL!
Old 03-13-2013, 10:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigXX78 View Post
Also you don't need 3.5" shells to kill turkeys just fine. Some 3" loads actually pattern better, depending on gun/choke, and their felt recoil is noticeably much less than 3.5"s. I'd only use 3.5"s for mid to long range waterfowl. They don't kick nearly like the turkey loads due to lower shot weights. You might also check out Hevi-shot 2 3/4" loads. Some people are getting great patterns with them and with far less recoil. ...But even most 20 gauge turkey loads (with 1/2 the recoil of 3" 12 GA) kick a little harder than your average .300 WM rifle round, especially considering the 20's are usually lighter weight guns.

I still love my 870's! They're lighter to carry, especially on mountain turkey hunts where I easily walk and climb 10-12 miles some days. I've never felt any recoil when I've shot a turkey. I usually don't even recall hearing my own shot... LOL!
a lot of how a shotgun patterns is the way the barrel and chokes are cut (there are two chokes). Just lengthening the forcing cone often makes a major improvement plus reduces the recoil. A back bored barrel has no forcing cone in it, and the only choke is at the end of the barrel. If the barrel is very tight, it cases the shot to beat itself out of round as it travels thru the barrel. Thus spreading the pattern. No choke will ever fix that problem.
gary
Old 03-13-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
a lot of how a shotgun patterns is the way the barrel and chokes are cut (there are two chokes). Just lengthening the forcing cone often makes a major improvement plus reduces the recoil. A back bored barrel has no forcing cone in it, and the only choke is at the end of the barrel. If the barrel is very tight, it cases the shot to beat itself out of round as it travels thru the barrel. Thus spreading the pattern. No choke will ever fix that problem.
gary
So if Standbanger got his 870 barrel back bored and only shot 3" shells, it would probably pattern better with much more tolerable recoil. He could still kill more turkeys than he will be able to with a bow. Although I do truly love to bowhunt turkeys too. When I'm so busy working that I don't have the time to devote to bowhunting turkeys, it's sure nice to be able take an 870 into the woods.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigXX78 View Post
So if Standbanger got his 870 barrel back bored and only shot 3" shells, it would probably pattern better with much more tolerable recoil. He could still kill more turkeys than he will be able to with a bow. Although I do truly love to bowhunt turkeys too. When I'm so busy working that I don't have the time to devote to bowhunting turkeys, it's sure nice to be able take an 870 into the woods.
all I'm saying is that a backbored shotgun barrel has about a 20% reduction in recoil and patterns better. Nothing new as trap and skeet shooters have been doing this for years. Prior to that guys would experiment by lengthening the forcing cone to reduce recoil and make the gun pattern better.
gary