Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Turkey Hunting

Turkey Hunting Techniques For Turkey Hunting

which shotgun to go with?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 10:14 PM
Silver Member

Re: which shotgun to go with?

Be aware in some shotguns the 3 1/2 " loads have a brutal kick, but the good news is if you buy the big 12 you can still shoot 3" through it , pattern density is where it's at whether you shoot 2 oz. Or 2 1/4 oz. Lately around here some guys are making the move to 20 ga. And shooting hevi-shot and the like and gettin the job done with a gun that's a full pound less. Keeps an old guy more mobile to to make the move on old tom.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHPAWSHOOTER10 View Post
Be aware in some shotguns the 3 1/2 " loads have a brutal kick, but the good news is if you buy the big 12 you can still shoot 3" through it , pattern density is where it's at whether you shoot 2 oz. Or 2 1/4 oz. Lately around here some guys are making the move to 20 ga. And shooting hevi-shot and the like and gettin the job done with a gun that's a full pound less. Keeps an old guy more mobile to to make the move on old tom.
Boy, Southpaw is right about the recoil. Even my 3" is most unpleasant to shoot when magnumned-up. I got my grandson a 20-ga 3-inch in Mossberg pump and it is unpleasant as well. To keep him from developing recoil-reflex, I did not have him practice with turkey loads at all, but did the pattern shots myself.

He of course was amazed that there was no perceived recoil whatever when shooting the birds. He took tom #14 last spring.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHPAWSHOOTER10 View Post

There is nothing like 2&1/4 oz of #2 shot from a 3 1/2" in a pump or over and under.

But the big semi autos are not bad at all.

That is the reason I recommend the Beretta xtrema is it will Handel the 3 1/2" shells
easily and with the shot count, shots to 65+yards are possible. recoil is very manageable.

Where I hunt turkeys get smart quick and hold up around 60 to 70 yards. and the 3 1/2 "
2s will solve that problem.

J E CUSTOM
Old 03-05-2011, 11:41 PM
Silver Member

A lot of states, my home state of Tn. for one, don't allow shot sizes larger than #4 for turkeys.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighKnob View Post
A lot of states, my home state of Tn. for one, don't allow shot sizes larger than #4 for turkeys.
Wow !!
Thats a new one. I can see the reasoning for 4s or smaller in a 2 3/4 shot gun because of
shot count, but the 3 1/2 " can through lots of 2s and is devastating on Turkeys and Geese.

Just more regs from the feds that don't have a good reason or make a lot of sense.

Some prefer to keep there shots under 30 yards and so do I if I can, but I do like to get my
4 turkeys every year and the 3 1/2" 2 1/4 oz #2s will fill the bag.

I have had # 4s fail to penatrate completly at 40 to 45 yards but the #2 are a different story.

I always follow the rules and if it were that way hear I would just have to pass on some
shots that are very possible with #2s.

J E CUSTOM
Old 03-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Silver Member

Some of the thinking leans toward safety. Less fatal with 4 than 2. Also most purist believe you gotta get em under 40 yds and with small shot taking head and neck shots you don't have cripples. It has some heated discussion on the turkey forums, alone with rifle hunting turkeys.

I've taken several at 40ish with 6's and in a 20 gauge. Lots are going to hevi shot 7 these days, but i've never tried them.

Sorry for stealing the tread.....i'll hush now.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighKnob View Post
Some of the thinking leans toward safety. Less fatal with 4 than 2. Also most purist believe you gotta get em under 40 yds and with small shot taking head and neck shots you don't have cripples. It has some heated discussion on the turkey forums, alone with rifle hunting turkeys.

I've taken several at 40ish with 6's and in a 20 gauge. Lots are going to hevi shot 7 these days, but i've never tried them.

Sorry for stealing the tread.....i'll hush now.

Don't get me wrong but (Less fatal with 4s than 2s ?) I though the object was to be very Fatal.

And as far as the "Purist" I think we have heard the same thing from people not wanting long
range hunting.

I would not recommend anything that would be marginal for hunting any game and to date I
have not lost a single Turkey with the #2s and I head shoot every one to avoid pellets in the
breast.

I prefer close shots but you can't always depend on that so I like to go prepared for worst
case scenarios in case that's all that presents it's self.

As to rifle hunting Turkeys. I think a 200 yard+ head shot is very sporting and fatal.

Not trying to start an argument just recommending the best IMO for the task at hand.

J E CUSTOM