Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Turkey Hunting

Turkey Hunting Techniques For Turkey Hunting

Seeking gore-tex gloves

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2010, 02:45 PM

Seeking gore-tex gloves

Shot my gobbler this year in the pouring rain. Was wearing milsurp gore-tex camo top and bottoms plus rubber boots so part of me stayed dry. However, my head and hands got wet...and cold. I am looking for a recommendation for light weight gore-tex gloves and/or hat, in camo of course.

For those interested, I shot my Eastern in north central Missouri, 22lbs, 10in beard. Benelli M2 Field, 12ga, shooting 3in Winchester Supreme #5 shot.

Thx.

Last edited by ergceo; 04-29-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:24 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Seeking gore-tex gloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergceo View Post
Shot my gobbler this year in the pouring rain. Was wearing milsurp gore-tex camo top and bottoms plus rubber boots so part of me stayed dry. However, my head and hands got wet...and cold. I am looking for a recommendation for light weight gore-tex gloves and/or hat, in camo of course.

For those interested, I shot my Eastern in north central Missouri, 22lbs, 10in beard. Benelli M2 Field, 12ga, shooting 3in Winchester Supreme #5 shot.

Thx.

There are some that sell gore-tex gloves without the goretex seams being seam taped. These are usually fairly cheap at around $25-35 or so...and they LEAK. I've got a camo pair of these from Cabelas and they are great for cutting the wind and being low bulk with Thinsulate insulation, but they seem to leak horribly--my hands seem to be quite wet in a rainstorm even though their description talks about a 100% waterproof goretex glove liner--except at the seams, where it's not seam taped perhaps?

You're likely to pay twice that for a pair of seam-taped Goretex gloves that should not leak--just my experience with this same situation dealing with mountaineering gloves. Offhand, not sure where to find these. Be interested to see what this thread turns up. If reasonable, look for a brand that has a lifetime warranty and had a history of standing behind what they sell.

I bet when your hands were cold and the turkey was coming, you would've been willing to pay the price. Hope you find something and let us know what you come up with. jon

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl

Last edited by jmden; 04-29-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:42 PM

Thanks. And yes, when my hands were cold and my turkey fever was running high, it was a little dicey taking that 50yd shot. But the Winny turkey loads have yet to let me down.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:52 PM
Silver Member

I've got a light weight bonnie hat that's gortex that works pretty good for me. It came from Sportsman Warehouse, but i've seen them at other places. I'll check the brand tomorrow and let you know. I'm on a new pair of gortex gloves this spring, but haven't made a decision yet. I'll put the name of those here too.