Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Turkey Hunting

Turkey Hunting Techniques For Turkey Hunting

Rifle Hunting Turkeys; Anyone here do it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 12:14 PM
Silver Member

Re: Rifle Hunting Turkeys; Anyone here do it?

I've been turkey hunting since the early 70's. I lived in Va. then and rifles were legal and still are. I've killed lots of birds with several different rifles. Light loaded 222, 22 mag, 22 hornet, 22 long rifle, round ball black powder, sabot pistol bullets with black powder. Most of mine at that time were body shots, in the wing base or high back. I quit about 1980 and went to shotgun only because i got more out of the calling than the shooting. You guys that head shoot, that's the way to go with a rifle. I still like fall hunting with open sight black powder round ball and body shots. It's just a matter of choice where legal and you gotta make it fun for you!
Old 05-08-2013, 09:01 PM
Silver Member

That's the only way I've taken turkey. Must be 22mag or bigger in WY. The last ones I shot were at 250 yds. Patients on waiting for that head to hold still.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:55 PM
Silver Member

I killed my first turkey this year with my 7mm magnum. bullet hit just above the breast along with aframe's it didn't tear any meat up.

For me it was a rush to get my first turkey he was a nice one in fact, had a 9in beard.

However, I now understand why people like to use shotguns to hunt them, the reach of a rifle along with a love struck tom made for an easy kill. Next time I go, I will use my shotgun, i'll still bring my rifle just incase hogs show up though.