Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Turkey Hunting

Turkey Hunting Techniques For Turkey Hunting

new turkey gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2014, 07:14 PM
Bronze Member

Re: new turkey gun

I like any 3 1/2" Mossburg with their backbored barrels. I shot many turkeys with my 835. I now use a 935 which is an semi-auto kills them the same. Use the factory choke for lead or Tru glow extreme with hevi-shot for a little more range. Shouldn't have any problem with a bird within 40 yards unless you flinch. And pattern your gun some shoot very high.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:08 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for all the info, I found out yesterday that my effective killing range is about 10 feet(being my longest successful turkey kill). On Saturday morning we had four gobblers come in, the biggest one stop at 20 yards, when I shot I watched the wad hit him at the base of the neck. He just gobbled and ran off before I could shoot again, he kept gobbling and strutting four a half hour then got bored and left. he didn't leave any feathers let alone blood, so we are going back to hit him with a stick to see if that works.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:06 PM
Bronze Member

Cheapest route that worked for me was a 20" deer barrel w/ rem choke, get tru glo choke tube from walmart, and replace the sights with fiber optic rifle sights. Then you can move your sights to match the dense part of your pattern. Did this with my 870 for under $200, works great to 45-50 yds.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:17 PM
Silver Member

best turkey gun ive ever seen/used is a remington 870 with an H.S undertaker H.D choke loaded with 3in hevi-shot magnum blend. Ive taken a few gobblers at 60 yards with it and i know its capable of 70-75 yards.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:06 PM
Gold Member

I personally like the benelli nova 12 gauge, not the tactical, which accepts 3 &1/2", and we've also had good luck with a beretta silver mallard (al-390). The benelli also serves as a short-range deer gun shooting slugs and has taken deer out to 85 yards along the river. I don't think you can really go wrong with whatever you choose in the 12 gauge market... As long as it accepts choke tubes. I like being able to shoot 3 &1/2s when I get the chance, and prefer a longer barrel than does my brother & nephew, but I'm 6'3 so swinging a 28" gun on target feels pretty natural. We use the smaller barreled beretta when we are hunting thick foliage. Good luck with the turkey's and finding a new gun. You got a lot to choose from out there.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:37 AM
Bronze Member

As long as it says "benelli" on it, it doesn't matter which one you get.